Review of Poetically Black:

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: My Life's Stirring Adventures by Tom Leech

Review of Poetically Black:

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetically Black:" by Janis Leslie Evans.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Poetically Black: Reflections on African American Joy, Sorrow, and Healing by Janis Leslie Evans is a collection of poems coming from a person who represents the African American culture and the baggage it comes with. The book is divided into chapters. Each represents a topic the poems discuss. The book discusses how people see them and how they see themselves. It also discusses the mental burden and the dynamics of relationships. Finally, it discusses healing and finding peace.

I really liked this book. It gave me strong emotions. I feel that the author poured her heart out on the pages, and her heart was full of emotions. You can feel the real sense of struggle and pain different people in communities have to go through. I sometimes think that the world is getting to be a better place, and then books like this come to tell me it's only on the surface, but the real deal is different.

The poems themselves are beautiful and engaging. They don't all rhyme, but some do. I like that they are smooth and easy to understand. There are no unnecessary complications. It's actually one of the best poetry books I've read. The writer's style is just beautiful.

I don't find anything to hate about this book. It represents a culture realistically and delivers the truth. It does that in a beautiful artistic way. The book received exceptional editing. I couldn't notice any errors or mistakes. Therefore, I rate Poetically Black: Reflections on African American Joy, Sorrow, and Healing by Janis Leslie Evans five out of five stars.

The book can be for everyone. People from inside this culture will feel represented. People from other cultures will get to see the inside of a world they may not know about. The book will also suit poetry lovers in general.

Poetically Black:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

The African-American Dream has been a long discourse. The various leaderships of America have done their various best to ensure a fair society for all. Yet the black community still suffers somewhat. I would like to read the author's thoughts on these.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Poetically Black: Reflections on African American Joy, Sorrow, and Healing" by Janis Leslie Evans sounds like a poignant collection of poems that delves into the multifaceted experiences within the African American culture. The thematic division into chapters covering topics such as perception, self-reflection, mental burden, relationships, and healing suggests a comprehensive exploration of the complexities and nuances of life.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This is a helpful and sufficient review. It provides insight into the themes and emotions conveyed in the book, praises the author's style, and highlights the realistic representation of African American culture. The lack of errors and smooth readability further enhance its appeal. The review is likely to motivate readers to purchase the book and suggests it would make a valuable addition to anyone's library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The reviewer praised "Poetically Black: Reflections on African American Joy, Sorrow, and Healing" by Janis Leslie Evans, stating that the poems are beautiful, engaging, and easy to understand. The book realistically represents the African American culture while delivering the truth in an artistic way. The reviewer found no flaws and gave it a five-star rating. The book seems to be a good read for everyone, including those interested in other cultures and poetry in general.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This insightful review captures the emotional depth and authenticity of "Poetically Black: Reflections on African American Joy, Sorrow, and Healing" by Janis Leslie Evans. The reader's appreciation for the author's heartfelt expression and the realistic portrayal of African American culture is evident. The acknowledgment of the book's universal appeal and exceptional editing adds a well-rounded perspective. Overall, a glowing recommendation that highlights the book's beauty and relevance.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”