Review of New Poetry by an Old Man

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of New Poetry by an Old Man

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Poetry by an Old Man" by Glen Wasson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

New Poetry by an Old Man by Glen Wasson is a compilation of ninety-eight poems. The book is about the everyday experiences of an old man, aged 81, who is living his remaining years with his wife, Daisy. He loves poetry and found it recently as a form of expression. His poems describe his everyday life, experiences, favorite places, and thoughts.

I like how easily the poet presented his work and his choice of words. I love his honesty and how relatable his poems are. He is not obsessed with flow or rhyme schemes. His main aim is to let out what’s in his head, which I find very creative and smart. Glen Wasson communicates well with his reader and takes you down the course of his life like you’re a long-lost friend who he’s briefing on what has happened, what’s happening and what he hopes to happen.

The persona employed repetition as a way of expressing himself but certain scenarios were overly repeated. At some point, it became a bit overdone and made the book quite slow to read; some parts of the book felt a bit too predictable. This was my least favorite thing about this book.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5. The reason for my rating is because of how well executed I find this book. It is nice, simple, and understandable. I didn't notice so many errors in this book, despite my meticulous nature. Most of the awkward sentences I found can be attributed to poetic license. However, I took a star away because of the issue I mentioned above.

I recommend this book to poetry lovers and non-lovers of poetry. This would be a stepping stone to reading poetry because of the poet’s writing style. He is direct, brief, and uses simple, easy, everyday language to express himself, which makes it enjoyable and comprehensible to readers.

New Poetry by an Old Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

While you found the repetition in the book overwhelming and the predictability a drawback, I see it as a deliberate creative choice that adds rhythm and emphasis. The repetitive style may not suit everyone, but it can enhance the book's impact for some readers. As for your rating of 4 out of 5, it reflects your appreciation for the book's execution, simplicity, and lack of errors. Deducting a star for the repetition issue is a valid consideration, highlighting the subjective nature of reading experiences.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review suggests that "Share New Poetry by an Old Man" by Glen Wasson is a good read for both poetry lovers and non-lovers. The book is described as nice, simple, and understandable, with relatable poems that express the everyday experiences of an old man. The reviewer appreciates the poet's honesty and relatability but notes that some parts feel repetitive and predictable, which slightly affected their enjoyment. Overall, the book receives a rating of 4 out of 5, indicating it is a well-executed and enjoyable read.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”