Review of The Door Left Open

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of The Door Left Open

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Door Left Open" by Nicholas Damion Alexander.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Door Left Open and Other Poems…" is a poetry collection written by Nicholas Damion Alexander. The poems reflect incidents in the author's life and the lives of those close to him, like those of his parents, sister, and acquaintances. The poems are crafted with vivid word choices and embellished with relevant poetic devices to make readers feel the very emotions and realities that run through them.

I enjoyed most of the poems and connected with most of the realities they painted, like the one titled "Mortal Wound (for Miss Mighty)." This poem reminded me of so many sad memories and troubles. I appreciated the vivid word choices and the poetic devices used to give this poem the best possible finishing. My favorite line was "The gaping wound hid / From mortal sight." The imagery is so powerful: a wound so wide yet so secret. I am familiar with this experience.

"Family Matter" was another remarkable poem. It explores a very important situation in society: the fate of the children of single mothers and the lines they have to cross in their quest for acceptance and validation. As usual, Alexander did an excellent job with the word choices and artistic use of poetic devices, so much so that I could imagine what this girl must have felt as she sang, cried, danced, and hoped for acceptance and validation of her aspirations. The "makeshift bed," "ready-made family," and "makeshift dad" used in this poem carried powerful messages and emotions.

"To be Jamaican" informed me of certain things about the people's way of life. "A long walk" reminded me of what I could call "dying wishes." "The Darker Children" explores what it means to exist as a colored person amid white superiority and what this scenario could hold for a child "torn" between this societal tag. I can go on and on. There are just so many amazing poems in this collection!

What impressed me the most was Alexander's magical word choices and use of figurative devices. Take a look at these lines: "And as early evening approaches Day deepens, winds mount like messiah To his Cross, descends to the grave As night trickles like the tears Of the double-minded voices next Door, praising God While chatting people’s business" (page 10). I appreciated the creative personification of wind, the comparison of its action to the incidents surrounding the crucifixion of Christ, the whole imagery this scenario forms, and the allusion to the biblical account of the hypocrite who went to the mountain to pray but ended up singing their self-righteousness.

I have just a little issue to point out: I found the poem "This Room" quite confusing and couldn't figure out what it's all about. That's just it. The editing is commendable. I found only two typographical errors in this book. Because of the aforementioned merits, I am delighted to rate "The Door Left Open and Other Poems…" five out of five stars. I do not consider the issue I pointed out serious enough to warrant the removal of any stars. I recommend this book to every lover of poetry and to anyone looking for a literary work with a variety of themes they can connect to.

The Door Left Open
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review is helpful, providing a sufficient overview of the poetry collection. It highlights the book's strengths, including vivid language and emotional resonance. The reviewer's personal connection and appreciation for the author's style are emphasized. The mention of a minor issue and commendation of editing enhance credibility. The positive rating and recommendation suggest it can motivate readers to buy, making it a good addition to a poetry lover's library from the reviewer's perspective.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "The Door Left Open and Other Poems…" by Nicholas Damion Alexander is insightful and comprehensive, offering a detailed exploration of the poetry collection.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

The Door Left Open and Other Poems" is a collection that truly captivates and resonates with readers. Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation,I am most instrested in "To be Jamaican" because it sounds like a wonderful exploration of culture and way of life, and "The Darker Children" delves into the complexities of identity and societal pressures. It seems like these poems offer a deep and thought-provoking understanding of various themes.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”