Review of Susan And Hannah

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of Susan And Hannah

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Susan And Hannah" by Joshua Harvey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Susan and Hannah, by Joshua Harvey, is a verse novel. It’s the story of two young girls who battle inwardly and outwardly for atheistic representation in their religious community. There is Hannah lie Dougal, who fakes her religion to not be set apart from her family. She is truly an atheist at heart, but she fears living her truth out of fear of ill treatment from society. She has also witnessed firsthand what people who come out go through, and she gravely fears being in that position. So, she conforms in public but secretly joins the cause in her closet.

We then have the bold Susan truth Mariah, who doesn’t hide her atheist beliefs but owns up to the world and public that she’s not religious. She is seen as an embarrassment to her family and anyone around her. Regardless of society’s ill treatment, she lives her truth and won’t have it any other way.

I like how the author builds suspense in this novel. His aim is to speak his truth and preach an uncommon message, taking us through the inner and personal lives of people like Hannah and Susan on a daily basis. As a nonreligious person, I could relate to Hannah and Susan. Joshua Harvey represents their lives very well. I also love the rhyming scheme of the work. It added a sort of beauty to the work. I like how this book was professionally edited, despite spotting a few errors.

I didn’t quite appreciate how the author introduced other characters without much development or depth. For instance, I would occasionally see a name pop up with strong significance, but their character wasn’t developed in any way. The author also scribbled a lot, and these words were not boldly written.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5. The reason for my rating is because of how unique the author's point of view is, but I couldn't rate it highest because of the issues above.

I recommend this book to everyone, but particularly members of the LGBTQ community, atheists, and people who love reading books like this. This book is written as a tragedy and would be suitable for people who enjoy such.

Susan And Hannah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides valuable insights into the verse novel "Share Susan and Hannah" by Joshua Harvey. It highlights the themes of atheism, societal pressures, and personal struggles faced by the characters. The reviewer appreciates the suspenseful storytelling and the author's representation of nonreligious individuals. However, they mention some drawbacks, including underdeveloped characters and occasional errors. Overall, the review is helpful in understanding the book's content and suitability for readers, particularly those in the LGBTQ community and fans of tragic stories. While it may not motivate everyone to buy, it provides sufficient information to make an informed decision about adding this book to one's library.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for providing a detailed and insightful review of "Susan and Hannah" by Joshua Harvey. Your analysis offers a balanced perspective, highlighting both the strengths and areas for improvement in the novel.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review suggests that "Share Susan and Hannah" by Joshua Harvey is a unique and intriguing verse novel. The author effectively captures the daily struggles and inner lives of nonreligious individuals, particularly Hannah and Susan. The rhyming scheme adds beauty to the work, although there were some editing errors. However, the lack of character development for certain individuals and the use of unclear handwriting are minor drawbacks. Overall, the book seems like a good read, especially for members of the LGBTQ community, atheists, and those who appreciate tragedy-based stories.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”