Review of The Mind’s Eye Collection

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Review of The Mind’s Eye Collection

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mind’s Eye Collection" by Chris Halpin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Mind's Eye Collection by Chris Halpin is a poetry collection that takes us through different kinds of emotion, from beautiful love poems like "On Love," which leaves our hearts fluttering, to poems like "My Remembrance," which forces us to experience grief through Halpin's lens. However, for the most part, the journey is enjoyable.

This book had some positive points. There were some poems that struck a chord in me, like the first two lines of the poem titled "Obscene" and the poem titled "Betrayal." Both made me pause for a moment and reflect deeply in thought. The line about "willows and weeping" from the poem titled "Transcendent" also had this effect on me. There were others I just loved for their simplicity and style, like "On Love" and "Lucid Dreams." However, my favorite in this case was "Fortress." In terms of love and romance, the author seemed to mostly depict a kind of struggle occurring, for instance, in the poems titled "The Confluence of Our Contradiction" and "Shoot You Down." This showed a sort of balance, proving that everything didn't have to be rosy to be real. I appreciated the authenticity of the author in this regard.

I love that the poems are in free-form verse, relieving me of the rigidity that convention entails. There's a line in "The Script of the Bee" where it feels like the author is describing his relationship with his works, or rather, his creative process. The author expresses himself in the first person, showing that these are his thoughts, feelings, and works from his mind. I love how the author was able to describe the process of writing in ways that only a poet can. He strings his words so seamlessly that my reading flow is not disturbed.

Most of the poems had interesting meanings and caused one to think deeply about rather common topics. I particularly enjoyed the author's rhymes in the poems as they appeared. Also, I found the recorded date and time of each entry quite peculiar, as it seemed to alternate between two days in July and a particular time range.

I rate this poetry collection a 5 out of 5 stars. There was nothing I disliked about the collection. I also didn't find any errors while reading, so I believe that the book was exceptionally well edited. These and the positives above are the reasons I couldn't deduct a star from the rating. I would read it again, as more meanings are exposed on rereading. If you're a lover of poetry and you are interested in exploring a wide range of emotions through the lens of a poet, then this could be a perfect fit for you.

The Mind’s Eye Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for your thorough and positive review of "The Mind's Eye Collection" by Chris Halpin. Your detailed insights into specific poems, appreciation for the author's authenticity, and recognition of the free-form verse style contribute to a comprehensive evaluation.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, the book "Share The Mind's Eye Collection" by Chris Halpin seems to be a highly enjoyable poetry collection. The reviewer praises the variety of emotions explored, the impactful lines, and the authenticity of the author's depiction of love and struggle. The free-form verse and seamless writing style are also appreciated. The reviewer rates it 5 out of 5 stars, finding no faults or errors and expressing the desire to read it again. Overall, this review suggests that the book is a must-read for poetry lovers seeking a range of emotions and thought-provoking content.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”