Review of Directional

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Review of Directional

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Directional" by Remy Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What theme is more congenial to poetry than love? Directional is a poetic collection by Remy Wilson in which love is the central theme, explored in an original way. In Wilson's poems, readers will follow the evolution of his relationship, marked by the passing of time (the seasons are mentioned frequently). Furthermore, Wilson also refers to feelings such as anger, hatred, and pain, and will guide us through growth and better self-knowledge.

I have to say that, overall, Directional is a good book, even if I did not find only positive sides. What I liked most was how the author depicted the relationship and how the passing of time is central to the book. Although seasons are often mentioned in love poems (or at least, that is what stuck with me from previous readings), Wilson refers to them in an original way.

What I did not like depends on how the book is printed. The thing I liked least is that there is neither an index nor page numbers, which does not help the reader who would reread a specific poem. Furthermore, I found it odd that the poems are printed on the left and that the page on the right is blank (except for very long poems). I believe this is intentional, so it does not affect my overall opinion of the book, but it is unusual, and I want to point it out.

Moreover, I must add that the book has many typos. In some cases, I believe that poetry determines some choices, but in other cases, these are definitely oversights.

For these reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. As I wrote above, the idea is original, but many typos and features of the physical copy of the book gave me the impression of negligence. However, I recommend Directional to readers avid of love poetry because they will find here many inspiring verses.

Directional
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I'm not a fan of poetry, as I find it difficult to understand, so I guess I'll just pass on this one. Thank you.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I am not a strong fan of poetry and the errors in the book are a bit discouraging. I would still love to check this out in my spare time.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, Directional by Remy Wilson seems to be a good read for readers who enjoy love poetry. The author explores the theme of love in an original way, depicting the evolution of a relationship over time. However, some drawbacks mentioned in the review include the lack of an index or page numbers, unusual formatting choices, and numerous typos in the book. Despite these issues, the reviewer still recommends Directional for its inspiring verses.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”