Review of Poetic Encores

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Review of Poetic Encores

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetic Encores" by Frank J De Canio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Poetic Encores by Frank J. De Canio is a collection of poems that navigate through several topics, like politics, love, and life, as well as entertainment. The poems cover a wide range of topics, which makes this book interesting, unique, and a reflection of life. The author included some pop culture references, proving that poetry can be interesting and modern without having to be serious and philosophical all the time. This type of book will certainly have something that everyone will enjoy, so grab a copy and discover your favorite poem.

This collection of poems is amazing. The author showed amazing writing ability, as he was able to use different styles to describe feelings and situations that I had never felt before. The author goes from philosophical thinking to humor and everything in between, making this a perfect book to keep close. The poems had been previously published on different platforms; each poem included information of where it was previously published, which is something I appreciated because I was able (in some cases) to see the author’s growth. I loved the details the author shared, for example, mentioning if a poem had won prizes. As hard as it was to choose them, some of my favorite poems include “Black Widow," "Shakira Unplugged," "Midwife," “First Love," “The Cavalier of the Rose," "You Need to Calm Down," "Yet Again," and “Kant Be Any Other Way.”

Unfortunately, the book has no real order or connection; the author could have organized the poems by date or topic, for example, but I could not find a connection. Overall, the book felt disconnected and messy; the author only compiled all their poems and took no time to read how they turned out.

Because of everything I have said, I rate Poetic Encores 4 out of 5 stars. While I love the poems individually, I do believe reading this book would be more pleasant if there were some correlations between poems or if the author had divided them into volumes. For me, the fact that it felt overwhelming and disconnected was a disappointment. The book has been professionally edited, as I only found two minor errors.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy poetry and are not intimidated by longer books.

Poetic Encores
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”