Review of The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric" by Holly Flame Maxey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric follows the fascinating experiences of the persona, Mrs. Eccentric, who takes us through some of her experiences in life. The book starts with Mrs. Eccentric stepping outside for the first time since COVID began. The persona shares her experiences of the outside world, which she wasn't so used to anymore. Mrs. Eccentric then takes us on quests to find answers while pondering things like what constitutes sin, what love truly is, and a realization of what heaven truly is. The author, Holly Flame Maxey, also, through the persona, discusses Mrs. Eccentric's many adventures. Follow Mrs. Eccentric as she navigates life and finds answers to some important questions.

I loved how the persona used rhetorical questions to keep me engaged. I had to stop sometimes and think some of the questions through. For instance, the persona uses the word 'evol' and asks the reader if it would mean evolution or evil. This is thought-provoking considering the theme of the poem was love; 'evol' is love spelled backwards. The images provided a sort of guide into Mrs. Eccentric's personality. The images stuck with me as I appreciated each work. This book is short and straight to the point. Essentially, I enjoyed following Mrs. Eccentric on her different adventures, learning so many life lessons along the way.

My least favorite thing about this book would be that the author did not maintain consistency with the images attached to each experience. I had started looking out for these images, and the parts without them felt incomplete. Also, I noticed a chapter that had a heading that had nothing to do with the chapter itself. While this may be the author's style, I did not quite find it attractive. 

This book gets five out of five stars because of how engaging it was. The book was properly edited and has no errors. I couldn't remove any stars. This book would be suitable for readers who enjoy young adult fiction.

The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ajain12 »

"The Escapades of Mrs. Eccentric" by Holly Flame Maxey offers a delightful exploration of life's mysteries through the eyes of the eccentric persona, Mrs. Eccentric. Engaging and thought-provoking, the book challenges readers with rhetorical questions and provides valuable life lessons. While inconsistency with the images and occasional unrelated chapter headings are minor drawbacks, the overall experience is captivating. A solid five-star rating for its engaging narrative and insightful themes. Recommended for young adult fiction enthusiasts.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

I also do love novels where the author uses rhetorical questions. They help readers to pause and look within themselves with the utmost honesty so as to answer the questions asked. I find them very engaging.
Thank you for your amazing review.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”