Review of Artwords

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Review of Artwords

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Artwords" by Beatriz M. Robles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Beatriz M. Robles is an author who has written two books before her latest work, Artwords. She has dedicated this book to her parents, Emilia Robles and Rene Robles. She explains how she draws inspiration from simple things that catch her attention. This book is a compilation of calligrams, redactive poetry, and photographs.

Calligrams are a form of word art in which the letters are arranged to create an image related to the meaning of the words. Beatriz also presents redactive poetry, created by taking words from an existing text to create a new poem. In addition, she combines literature and photographs to create works of art. The book's introduction provides a sample of each artwork form, setting the ball rolling for readers to explore and enjoy the author's unique creative expression.

I enjoyed reading through the book. The very first calligram, named Playtime, is subtly suggestive. The sensual nature of the writing invites the reader to read between the lines and leaves them with a smile by the end. Passed Over is a touching calligram, while Deserted and Uncovered are intelligent pieces.

The book's sensual and intimate nature continues through the photographs titled Taboo, Pretty Tiring, and Rub Me Tender. The seductive tone that permeates the entire book is created by combining everyday objects and words with these images. I enjoyed how the literature and the pictures were married together in this concept.

I was pleasantly surprised by the redactive poetry in the book. This unique style takes existing text, focuses on a central theme, and creates a meaningful message by removing unnecessary words and emphasizing the theme of the piece. I particularly enjoyed pieces titled The Real Reason, Unhappy, and The Beach. Some poems may require a second read to fully grasp the intended message, but once you understand how it works, you will appreciate and enjoy this format more quickly.

As I read through the book, I became curious about the next picture, subject, or image. The author's modest yet stunning artwork worked nicely with the calligrams and redacted poetry, complementing one another perfectly. The artwork did not overwhelm the wordplay.

I did not come across any errors throughout the book, and I commend the editors for an excellent job. I have nothing negative to say about the content, layout, or any other aspect of the book. Therefore, I give Artwords by Beatriz Robles a perfect 5 out of 5 stars.

Two new terms that I came across in the book's description—calligram and redacted or found poetry—got my attention right away. I am delighted to have picked up this book, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for something to tickle their thoughts. However, due to its suggestive content, I strongly advise that it's only suitable for mature audiences.

Artwords
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Poems are direct message to a soul.... But I am intrigued by the concept of calligram. This good seems to be one of those that takes you into an entirely different world. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Calligram is an interesting form of art, very relaxing and introspective. Thanks for your review.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Raymonda Onwuka 1 wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 09:29 Poems are direct message to a soul.... But I am intrigued by the concept of calligram. This good seems to be one of those that takes you into an entirely different world. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Be ready to have your thoughts tickled.
The whole concept was new to me.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Osvaldo Borghese wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 12:01 Calligram is an interesting form of art, very relaxing and introspective. Thanks for your review.

The whole concept was new to me.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Happy reading!
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »