Review of Believe : A Poetry Collection

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Review of Believe : A Poetry Collection

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Believe : A Poetry Collection" by Denise Alicea.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a poetry book and related to every single word the author wrote? If not, you might want to grab a copy of Denise Alicea’s poetry book and feel like you are her friend. Believe: A Poetry Collection by Denise Alicea is a collection of poems about love, womanhood, friendship, faith, and identity that will resonate with every reader.

With a little over thirty amazing poems, Alicea shares her experiences as a Latina woman. Celebrating her culture, faith, and identity, she talks about issues like dealing with loss, love, feeling angels around us, and celebrating who we are. Alicea shares some beautiful words about Puerto Rico that will make everyone proud, regardless of the country they come from, because her words are not meant to only talk about the beauty of Puerto Rico but also the richness of Latin culture. Some of my favorite poems were “The Trodden Path," “Latina Pride," “Believe It," “Tear Down These Walls," “Empowering Me,” and “Love from a Distance," as I felt these were some of the poems I connected with the most.

This is the type of book that feels like a hug when you are feeling sad or broken; it can lift your spirit. The book is exceptionally well edited and completely free from errors. The poems are also amazingly cohesive and easy to read, and the author’s writing style is simple and familiar. There is nothing negative I can say about Believe: A Poetry Collection. This is, without a doubt, exactly what the author said: poetry for the soul.

Because of everything I have said, I am glad to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. Rating it—anything different than a full rating—should be considered a crime.

Everyone who loves poetry will enjoy this book, but females with a Hispanic background will identify with it the most. This book is suitable for everyone, regardless of their age, gender or background.

Believe : A Poetry Collection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”