Review of A Brighter Tomorrow

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: David's space flight by Sharron Hillman-Dwyer

Review of A Brighter Tomorrow

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Brighter Tomorrow" by Lori Schneider, MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The pandemic of 2020 took the world unawares, despite some hints and warnings earlier given by some experts about its likely occurrence. But despite the excruciating psychological pains, deaths, job losses, and restrictions brought about by this tormentor, there were incredible records of personal discoveries and paradigm shifts in certain aspects of global institutions. For example, the lockdowns provided people with more time to reflect on their lives, so many discovered talents they never knew they possessed, and the idea of remote or virtual jobs took on deeper meanings and dimensions.

Lori Schneider is a neurologist, and as a health professional, she had her own share of the heavy responsibilities that came with the pandemic. During this time, Lori picked up an interest in poetry, finding it a great source of solace and strength. Her collected poems are published under the title A Brighter Tomorrow. The poems are grouped into various headings based on the similarities in their thematic preoccupations and complemented with original artwork.

I think Lori has done incredibly well, striking a balance between artistry and accessibility and crafting poems readers can easily connect to without racking their brains. For example, in the poem "Sealed by Fate," there is a skillful combination of rhymes, personification (the wind ripping the handkerchief), and picturesque language to craft a narrative poem that highlights the themes of eternity of pure love, predestination, and the priceless value of unyielding commitment that resonated deeply with me without any constraints in comprehension.

Each heading is a sort of central theme and runs across the poems contained in it. For example, under the heading "The Creative Process," we come across poems like "Writer's Block" and "The Artist." While "Writer's Block" highlights the challenges in creativity, like the "dry season," when no idea is coming forth and recognizes the importance of the muse to initiate and keep the flow going, "The Artist" captures the bond between artists and the audience, yet in all these, the theme of the creative process is prevalent in both.

I enjoyed reading all the poems, and I do not think there is anything that could be improved in any of them. Given the beautifully-written poems, the relatable themes, and the flawless editing, I rate A Brighter Tomorrow 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to lovers of poetry and all those looking out for a literary work that entertains and edifies.

A Brighter Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”