Review of A Lover Lost, A Lover Found

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dana Youngblood
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Please Read Me by Kathryn Sprandio Ells
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Review of A Lover Lost, A Lover Found

Post by Dana Youngblood »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lover Lost, A Lover Found" by Kara Flamond.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Lover Lost, A Lover Found, a compilation of poems by Kara Flamond, covers many emotions and feelings after tragedy. Flamond lost her husband and her mother close together, and these poems show her working through the grief and loss. Flamond has many poems about her being alone, sad, and feeling as if there is no end in sight. Some of the poems talk about a new love, and some cover her getting her needs met without a long-term relationship. The poems bounced from sadness and despair to love, then back to grief again. There is a cycle that many go through when they are grieving, and she seemed to go through this with positive times followed by more sorrow. I like that she had poems about her friends and road trips, both of which were like therapy for her. The first half, or a little more, of her book, seems to take place within a year of her husband's passing. Her poem “December” is about her feelings coming up to the first anniversary of his passing. She also has a couple of poems about her friend Nip and their time in the 90s. She introduces Dallas in a few of the poems, and based on those poems, I think this is her “lover found.”

I give this book a 4 out of 5 rating. Many poems touched me, and I have not seen nearly as much loss as she has. Some of my favorite poems are “Road Trips,” “My Girls,” “A Glorious Place To Visit,” “A Daily Affirmation,” “My Shell,” “I Still Dance,” and “At The Table of War Talks.” These poems all spoke to me on different levels. Whether they covered friendship, getting back up, or motherhood, they were all relatable to me and something that I felt deeply. She has a way of writing and comparing her feelings so that many people can relate to or connect to them. I liked that the poems ranged in length from a couple of lines to a full page. I liked the range of emotions and connections that she makes to other parts of life. I also liked that some poems have rhyming words while most do not. The change in her style was interesting and kept me intrigued about what was coming next. There were a few things that I did not like. I think the book could have been edited better, as there were mistakes throughout. There were also random words that were capitalized throughout the poems. At first, I thought they might be for emphasis, but there did not seem to be a reason or pattern behind them. I also had a hard time knowing when the poems were written. I assumed they would be in an order that would look like losing her first love and then finding a new one. However, there were times that it felt like she found her new love and then bounced back to not having him.

I recommend this book to poetry lovers. This set of poems could also help others who are going through grief and need to feel connected to others who have been through similar times. However, these poems do discuss sadness and grief, some have sexual undertones, and some show her reliance on God.

A Lover Lost, A Lover Found
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"A Lover Lost, A Lover Found," a compilation of poems by Kara Flamond, seems to offer a poignant exploration of grief, loss, and eventual healing. Through her poems, Flamond navigates the emotional rollercoaster of losing her husband and mother, finding solace in friendship, road trips, and the possibility of new love. The range of emotions portrayed, from sadness and despair to moments of love and joy, reflects the complex journey of grief.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by williams Emerald »

Your review eloquently captures the depth and emotional journey depicted in Kara Flamond’s poetry collection, “A Lover Lost, A Lover Found.” It’s evident how deeply the author’s experiences of loss and healing resonate with you, as you reflect on the various themes and connections portrayed throughout the poems. Your appreciation for the range of emotions, relatability, and stylistic diversity within the collection is palpable, and your honest critique adds depth to your evaluation. Your recommendation speaks to the potential impact of Flamond’s work on both poetry enthusiasts and those navigating grief, offering solace and connection in shared experiences. Thank you for sharing your insightful review and heartfelt recommendation.
JOSEPHINE Aruta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JOSEPHINE Aruta »

Overall, this compilation of poems seems to offer a heartfelt exploration of grief, healing, and the resilience of the human spirit. It provides readers with a glimpse into the author's personal experiences and emotions, inviting them to reflect on their own journeys of loss and love.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”