Review of My AfroRican State of Soul

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pablo Josue Mendia
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Shadows by John Berg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Review of My AfroRican State of Soul

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My AfroRican State of Soul" by Lucas Rivera.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lucas Rivera's My AfroRican State of Soul: A Journey of Identidad, Struggle, Love & Faith is a deeply personal exploration of identity, resilience, and spiritual awakening. Rivera chronicles his journey from a childhood in Salinas, Puerto Rico, to the culturally vibrant yet challenging streets of North Philadelphia. His vivid narrative and evocative poetry offer readers a raw look into his life.

Rivera’s memoir has four central themes: identity (identidad), struggle, love, and faith. Each section, marked by a series of poems, weaves together his personal history with broader cultural and historical contexts, illustrating how his Afro-Rican identity is an amalgamation of the legacies of African, Taíno, and Spanish ancestry. Rivera’s vivid descriptions of Taller Puertorriqueño, a cultural arts center pivotal to his self-discovery, emphasize the importance of cultural preservation and education in shaping one’s self-awareness and pride.

The struggle section is particularly compelling, as Rivera recounts the adversities he faced growing up in an environment marked by socio-economic challenges and racial prejudices. His reflections on the intergenerational trauma inherited from his parents, especially his father's battles with addiction and his mother's resilience, are both heart-wrenching and enlightening. These narratives show hardships and the crucibles that forged his strength and sense of purpose.

In Rivera’s recounting, love emerges as a transformative force. His relationship with his wife is depicted with profound tenderness and gratitude, presenting her as a beacon of support and inspiration. Rivera's love poems are a testament to how intimate relationships can offer healing and help individuals transcend past traumas, allowing them to grow into better versions of themselves.

Faith, intertwined with all aspects of his journey, is portrayed as the cornerstone of Rivera’s resilience. Rivera shows his spiritual evolution through deeply reflective and spiritually infused poetry, which underscores his belief in a higher purpose and the redemptive power of faith. Rivera’s embrace of the Bahá'í teachings, particularly the concept of divine love as a stronghold, provides a philosophical and theological framework that enriches his narrative.

Rivera’s prose captures the rhythms and cadences of his dual heritage. His ability to navigate between the lyrical and narrative forms creates a dynamic and engaging reading experience. The book does more than recount personal history; it invites readers to witness the power of embracing one's roots, overcoming personal and communal struggles, and finding strength in love and faith.

The book, however, contains some grammatical errors, including wrong verb forms. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Overall, My AfroRican State of Soul is a moving tribute to the power of cultural identity and personal resilience. Rivera is a personal odyssey, a story of healing and the pursuit of self-discovery. I recommend this book to cultural enthusiasts, poetry lovers, social justice advocates, spiritual seekers, and Latino community members.

My AfroRican State of Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

Lucas Rivera's My AfroRican State of Soul portrays the life story of Rivera from childhood to his present adulthood centering on his struggles, identity, love and Faith. I appreciate his sincere and detailed expression of his struggles which depicts his identity and sense of purpose. Engaging story, I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”