Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really like poetry; mostly because I don’t understand it. I’ll keep trying, though.
gift etete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift-etete.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by gift etete »

The reviewer did an excellent job, but I'm not a poetry fan, I had no idea there was such a thing as a prose poem, and I didn't particularly enjoy the way the author portrayed women.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

Great review! Thanks for the honest opinion especially about the poems pertaining to women-that alone is a turn off to me! It seems to be a collection of some interesting poetry about Asian-American culture and would be great for someone interested in both poetry and the culture! Congratulations on BOTD!
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

Osaki has a beautiful way with language. He is able to utilise even the most mundane and everyday object to depict a depth of emotion that arises from the discourse on heavy topics. A great example of this would be “Chinese Camp, California”, where he creates a triple play on the word “pen” – taking it to mean the pen used to pen the poem, the penning itself, as well as likening the isolation Asian-Americans experience to being trapped in a metaphorical pen.
- I like doing that when writing poetry too, but the fact that Osaki portrays women in a negative and inferior light, brought my mood down. Nonetheless, it's a book of poetry, I love poetry, and so I will read it because the reviewer mentioned many more nice things about it. Excellent review. Thank you.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

Best Evidence is a collection of 39 prose poems, this group of poems seems to be very fascinating. It would be nice learning about the Asian way of life, both here in America and in their native nations. Thanks for the review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Thank you for this review. I am not really a fan of poetry as they feel cumbersome to me, I am also not going to root for an author who seems to be a misogynist.
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I'm not a fan of poetry, but I believe it takes someone with real language skills to compose poetry regarding such heavy topics as racism and oppression. I admire the author for writing with honesty about his feelings. However, I don't support degrading women through his writing. Thanks for this exquisite review. You did an amazing job. 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Mojolaoluwa Idowu
Favorite Book: Trials of Apollo Book Three
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojolaoluwa-idowu.html
Latest Review: Voice Of a Mummy by Kay A. Oliver

Post by Mojolaoluwa Idowu »

I find it fascinating. Despite not being a fan of poetry, I would nonetheless suggest it to those who are. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Thafheema Zaroony
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thafheema-zaroony.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Thafheema Zaroony »

Poetry is not my cup of tea. But the whole plot seems interesting. Added to the bookshelf. Thank for the review. Congrats on botd.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I'm not quite familiar with prose poems, but it's something I'm looking to learn more about. Great review!
bibimahkh1960
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibimahkh1960.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur

Post by bibimahkh1960 »

Thank you for your comment. I wasn't aware of prose poems either, and this may be more attractive to me! I will reserve comment on Osaki's negative portrayal of women until I have read the whole volume. Perhaps he was writing on those particular aspects. It would be interesting if he were to do others as you have suggested.

As an Asian myself of immigrant parents, I can certainly relate to some of the topics covered by his work. I'm looking forward to reading this collection. Thank you!
Petunia P
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Petunia P »

"Best Evidence" by Mark S. Osaki is an impeccably researched and well-written exploration of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Osaki's insightful analysis of the evidence and key players involved in the investigation challenges widely accepted theories and leaves readers questioning what they thought they knew about the event. Highly recommended for history buffs and true crime enthusiasts alike. :D
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I understand "Best Evidence" by Mark S. Osaki is a collection of 39 prose prose poems. I am not o good fan of poems so, I will pass this one along. Thanks for the review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a collection of 39 poems, written in prose, that focus on a variety of issues ranging from the Asian-American experience to war and its aftereffects. Not only are the words powerful and moving, but they also encourage reflection and leave a lasting impact with readers. Thank you so much for the awesome review and keep up the great work! :-)
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 642
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Best Evidence" by Mark S. Osaki is a collection of 39 poems in a 54-page book. This is a well written book of poems but as the official reviewer pointed out Osaki has a tendency to portray women in an inferior light which bothers me. The poems focus on different times in Osaki's life including the aftermath of the Vietnam War, his experiences in a predominately white America and they show Osaki's raw emotions. Readers need to keep an open mind with these poems and try to put oneself in Osaki's shoes. I imagine the official reviewer had a tough time with this review but did a great job.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”