Trunk of Memories

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
ByDraxyss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Trunk of Memories

Post by ByDraxyss »

That almond tree had grown so large that its roots threatened to break the
sidewalk. Some neighbors protested the garbage generated by its dry leaves. Others feared that many power lines would be affected by
its thick branches. The poor almond tree did not ask to be planted there, did not ask to be watered
and jealously guarded by the woman who planted it. It did not ask that the children of the
neighborhood took their ripe fruits to eat the peels or that they would crush its nuts to eat the seeds.
That tree witnessed three hurricanes and remained standing. The children
got hidden amongst its branches or behind its trunk. Once a soccer ball got lost in its foliage and countless people enjoyed sitting in a bench in its shade.
Sometimes human brutality knows no limits ... that almond tree silently fell, victim of an ax and with it so many memories were lost ... such as the names carved in its Trunk by my childhood friends and I.
ObianujuJane
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obianujujane.html
Latest Review: The VD Anthology by Various

Post by ObianujuJane »

Beautifully written. I know how sad it can be to have a huge part of your childhood memories taken down.
I remember feeling so sad when the biggest sycamore tree that holds so much childhood memories for me and my siblings was taken down because it has grown too tall.
The memories live on in our hearts.
Meadow Fox
Currently Reading: Night Angel
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadow-fox.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Meadow Fox »

It's always sad watching things from childhood change or disappear. Nice story that makes me think back to all the things I've seen change.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This made me think of The Allman Brothers Band. That doesn't seem great enough of a leap, from almond to Allman, but the connection is still there, nonetheless.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

There were two big old trees in our yard growing up. My siblings and I tied a swing between its trunks. It was unsteady, and I scraped my knees quite a few times when falling off of it. Then I went to boarding school for a term, came back, and it was gone. Our swing, the trees, they weren't there anymore. I enjoyed reading this; it made me remember good times.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”