I Seen Him

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

I Seen Him

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

"I seen the killer with may own eyes. Took my sweet Adelaide right in front of may," Ma Spencer sobbed and wiped at her tears with a napkin. She was a true fanatic, wearing a shawl stubbornly around her neck as she led the way towards the church, all the while sashaying her plump hips.

She looked at me with a curious expression like a dog watching visitors in the pound. "When will I git a suspect lineup, officer?"

"Soon."

"Well, it best be quick 'cause he'll be comin’ for may. I seen his face that night. He knows I did."

I squeezed her shoulder. "That's why I'm here to keep you safe."

“Sure.” She almost laughed. "Like the way y’all protected them dead witnesses? Honey, I'll be safe in the Lord's house."

The Lord’s house. Eight days I haven’t been there.

I caressed the cold metal of my sidearm.

"That's it over yonder." She pointed towards St. Philip's, the old cathedral with an arched roof and a brick wall, so old it crumbled and fell as I watched. "’Ain’t gonna be long now."

The silver rays of moonlight cast a light on her, illuminating her sleep-deprived eyes, her trembling hands.

We got to the church and tried the front door. Locked.

I smiled for the first time in eight days and drew out my push dagger from where it was hidden in my back pocket.

She saw it and gasped, backing away into the door.

“No! You--”

“Yesss!”

I plunged the blade into her stomach and twisted it. As she sank to the ground, I leaned in and whispered into her ear, “Don’t beat yourself up about it. God didn’t save Adelaide either.”
readbook4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by readbook4 »

Didn't she see him, why didn't she recognize him?

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”