On the Corners of Serenities

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Karen Gurtiza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-gurtiza.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

On the Corners of Serenities

Post by Karen Gurtiza »

The Deal

Awfully tossed this March issue of Reader’s Digest up in the air. My left brow arched and my fingertips instantly pressing my forehead. The television is more like a swarm of bees and blurring my sight even with my eyeglasses on making me irritatingly exhausted. Noontime shows are becoming less appealing each passing day but have to show no disinterest when somebody’s around. I’ve reached for the remote control lying on the stained and undignified rotten upholstery and ended my misery.

“Kalir”, it’s Rio. I love the way she says my name. By the way, it’s Kaliraya. My mother named me after her favorite street in our hometown. I find it very primitive, so I thought, ‘Kalir’ sounds better.

That fresh look is quite refreshing in the unbeatable heat of summer. She’s in those white denim skirt and light brown tee shirt with her tied down. I bet she’s got some errands from grandma.

“Got to pay the bills?” I hesitantly guessed taking off my hand from my forehead

“Be back before six” she answered, took the car keys from the table before heading to the doorway. I saw her wave her hand then silently closed the door.

Turning back, I rested my neck on the sofa, my head’s up at the ceiling starting to press my fingertips against my forehead again. I poured a half glass of pineapple juice from the pitcher at the table that I filled with a bucket of ice cubes a while ago and took this small transparent bottle on my pouch. After taking two tablets, I gulped the pineapple juice and laid back at the sofa. Somehow there’s some sort of relief that I’m alone with myself.

It’s chicken burger and fries, and the smell is really mouth-watering. Thought my headache’s already gone, I can’t fully open my eyes yet. The vague light from my aquarium hurts my eyes causing me to blink annoyingly and tuck myself into my thick comfy blanket wondering why on earth do I have it with me. Stretching my arm for my phone, a piece of paper fell on the floor. I picked it up. It’s a note from Rio that says, “Didn’t wake you up anymore. Call you when I get back home”.

I unwrapped the foods from the paper bag, took a sip of my cola then aimed for my portfolio at the small cabinet near the lampshade. ‘The floor’s cold without the carpet’, I thought, worrying about having severe coughs and colds since lately, thinking if I’m going to get my socks in the room.

I smiled having the letter in my hand along with some xerox copies of hospital bills, reading my name on my mind she had beautifully written at the very center of it that has been folded into two, still having such a beautiful penmanship even in her last few days fighting with cancer. Back at the sofa, I tucked myself in again and had a bite of my burger. Readily, I turned on my phone’s flashlight to read the letter I promised to read after her burial but haven’t done so because of my job.

My Dearest Kalir,

The wind isn’t as cold as before. It’s like telling me not to be afraid because we’re going to such a beautiful place, like where mom and dad are in. Thank you so much for the flowers every week since this four-walled room became my world, our movie marathon on Sundays, and your homemade graham I wish they have some there in that place. What I’m trying to say is that I am forever grateful for every single moment we spend together until I take my last breaths.

I couldn’t say anything more than that anymore and promise me one thing…live your life the way you wanted because I will ask God for a piece of heaven for you here on earth. I love you so much.

Love,
Cielo

That was the first and last bite I had with my burger that I hardly swallowed and the letter was unconsciously watered with tears. The pain in my chest is quite unbearable…the same kind of pain the day after Cupid’s day, holding her hand until there’s nothing left in the room but us and deafening silences. And now in this dark empty room there’s nothing but me, staring at the bright light of the light post outside, my still hands on the letter…thinking on when to make one.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”