Emergence

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Emergence

Post by Diamond Harrell »

The pain of the needle bit into my skin. It felt as though someone was picking away my flesh piece by piece. That’s what a tattoo does. It reminds you that you were something before, but have changed; hopefully for the better. I tried to stop thinking about the pain. My eyes explored the room for something, anything to focus on. A golden ray of sunlight cascaded through the slightly opened window and landed gracefully onto a table. The table was covered in books. I couldn’t see what they were titled, but it didn’t really matter. The beauty of how they were placed and how the light conversed with them was most important.
“This may be my best piece Lula,” my mother said sounding deeply focused.
I didn’t bother to respond. I would see it soon enough. That’s if I didn’t die. Finally, the needles stopped moving. I took a deep breath and tried to see the design through the lines of pain webbing along my back. My mother began to wash my back, and l soon relaxed under the feel of the solution running down. As her hand reached my shoulder she paused.
“Most of us never have the opportunity to go through Flight with a parent. I’ve helped many and lost some; don’t be one that I lose.”
She finished wiping my back and moved to the trashcan to dispose of the materials. I stiffly stood from the intricately designed red blanket and gold trimmed chaise. I spread my arms and a flood of emotions overcame me. Would I fail? Would my wings emerge? Would I be forever lost? Would I succeed? Would my father finally be proud of me; would she? Would this be enough?
“Are you ready for Flight Lula Creaz Graffin?”
I nodded and relished the official way she spoke to me. This would be the moment that would change my life. My mother opened the door and I followed her out into the main sanctuary. The church was still filled with loving friends and family. I could hear all of them gasping as I walked past; the wings would be beautiful. I knew they would have to be. She opened the doors so we could exit the crowded church, and I clutched my hands together as my nerve began to fail me. I looked around as everyone made their way outside.
“On today, Moonsday 23rd, Lula Graffin has turned 18. Today she will take Flight. She will either come forth with her Emergence or she shall fall and be lost to us forever. May blessings make her steady and spread her wings.”
The crowd grew solemn as my mother grabbed my hand. The thrashing within my chest caused my knees to weaken, my palms to sweat, and my vision to blur. She gave me a reassuring look and pulled me off of the cliff.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I love the imagery in this piece! It sounds like an interesting world you've created, I would love to read more about it. Hopefully she flies!

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”