The Trap

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
smiley0905
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley0905.html

The Trap

Post by smiley0905 »

The Trap
A notification of an email flashed on my computer screen as I typed my letter to Mr. Rogers. I finished up my letter before clicking on the email.
It was from an unknown sender. It only said: the trap was prepared. I read it over and over and tried to make sense of it but no matter how many times I said the words in my head, I could not figure out a meaning that had something to do with me.
A trap. For who? And who prepared it? Who is this unknown sender?
I thought of the event scheduled tomorrow night. The company is set to receive another award, and I am invited as the representative. I could already hear the applause. I don’t know why I think of the awards night while I read this email. Suddenly, I felt that they were connected somehow. And then a sudden feeling of dread came to me.
“See you next Tuesday.” My secretary’s head appeared on the doorway. It is already late at night and she’s heading home.
“See you Clara. Thanks for all your help today.” She smiled then left.
After a couple more hours, I gathered my things, locked my office, and took the elevator down.
When I got to my apartment, I plopped myself on the couch, and fell asleep.

It is the evening of the awards night. I wore a midnight blue fitted gown that had a bare back and a high slit a little bit towards the right side baring my right leg.
I grabbed a bread from the basket going around. A drum played in the background, its fast rhythm matching my heartbeat. I haven’t forgotten about the email. I must have looked stressed because when Doug approached me, he said “You have changed.”
I was startled, but then I quickly recovered and asked, “What do you mean?”
“You never got nervous before going onstage.”
“Oh. I guess I have.” I replied. I didn’t want to explain to him about the email.
Not wanting to meet Doug’s questioning and searching eyes, I looked around and focused my attention on a man in an olive suit from afar. His brown hair is slightly wavy. He looked Italian. I continued to stare at him, quite curious to see a new face. Eventually, he felt my eyes on him.
I held his gaze for a second before I felt inexplicably uneasy. The wine glass I held between my fingers is shaking. I was shaking. I finished my drink trying to calm myself down, then put it on one of the trays going around.
On the stage, Mr. Rogers is presenting a diamond to the audience. From his words, I caught that it was from an auction. And then suddenly, everything is spinning and everything is just a buzz around me.
I wanted to get away. Somehow, I reached the stairs and stumbled through the steps. I reached the top floor and opened the only door I could see. I found myself in a tower.
And there standing is the Italian stranger. The stranger smiled. Then he pushed me off the ledge. As I was in mid-air, I thought of the email. The trap. It was too late.

Include this element in the plot: an email
Include this sentence: the trap was prepared
Add this word: applause
Include a dialogue that begins with: See you next Tuesday
Add this word: basket
Include this element in the plot: a drum
Include a dialogue that begins with: You have changed
Include this sentence: The stranger smiled.
Include this element in the plot: a diamond
End the story: in a tower
ShannonLove
Favorite Author: Andrea Levy
Currently Reading: Electroboy
Bookshelf Size: 49
fav_author_id: 16960

Post by ShannonLove »

Was this a class assignment? I think it would be confining to write a story under such specifications.

Thank you for sharing. I like the character description and how you gradually built up the tension.

"Not wanting to meet Doug’s questioning and searching eyes, I looked around and focused my attention on a man in an olive suit from afar. His brown hair is slightly wavy. He looked Italian. I continued to stare at him, quite curious to see a new face. Eventually, he felt eyes on him."--my favorite quote from you story
smiley0905
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley0905.html

Post by smiley0905 »

ShannonLove wrote:Was this a class assignment? I think it would be confining to write a story under such specifications.

Thank you for sharing. I like the character description and how you gradually built up the tension.

"Not wanting to meet Doug’s questioning and searching eyes, I looked around and focused my attention on a man in an olive suit from afar. His brown hair is slightly wavy. He looked Italian. I continued to stare at him, quite curious to see a new face. Eventually, he felt eyes on him."--my favorite quote from you story
Thank you ShannonLove. I feel flattered that you even took the time to quote my story.
It actually was not a class assignment. I wrote it through my phone called "The Writing Challenge." It gives certain prompts based on how many steps you want and how much time you want it to give you for each step. I did this with 10 steps, 2 minutes between each step.
ShannonLove
Favorite Author: Andrea Levy
Currently Reading: Electroboy
Bookshelf Size: 49
fav_author_id: 16960

Post by ShannonLove »

Kudos to you for challenging yourself! I'm not sure I could come up with something that interesting and eloquent under the same conditions.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”