The Predator and His Preys

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
smiley0905
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley0905.html

The Predator and His Preys

Post by smiley0905 »

The trap was prepared. Bryn hid behind the bushes and waited for his prey. He tried to keep his breathing even and infrequent.
A notebook laid open at the center of the field, black and unintelligible scribbles written all over it. From a mere mortal’s view, it looked like a simple notebook that could have been dropped by anyone.
Shy, who lived in a boat by the lake not far away from the field, was now approaching the notebook. She was about to stoop and pick it up when suddenly a forceful wind knocked her over face first, and eventually she just vanished, sucked into the notebook.
Arya saw what happened to Shy and she wasn’t able to move until she felt someone’s gaze. She ran.
Bryn chased Arya, unable to let go of yet another prey.
Arya jumped over the fence and reached a vacated house. She entered, and crossed an inner threshold. Bryn was now only steps behind her.
They entered the empty room and Bryn got a hold of Arya, tackling her to the ground.
He gave her a vicious smile and said, “I’m gonna live forever.”
“Please don’t.”
“And what will you give me in exchange if I spared your life?”
Arya did not know how to respond out of despair and fear. She closed her eyes and wished for the nightmare to end. But it was no nightmare, and the pain she felt as Bryn’s nails dug deeper into her shoulders told her that.
She started to smell something burning. She thought of the delicious food in a banquet… hamburgers, fried chicken, hot dogs, and then something burning… Where was the cook when…
Then she opened her eyes and realized that she had been smelling her dress. Bryn’s eyes reflected the flame slowly eating up her dress. He was smiling in joy of the sight.
“What are you doing?”
He didn’t answer but only looked at her, and then suddenly scooped her out of the ground into his arms.
The next moment, she awoke in a deserted island by the shore. For miles, she could only see blue waters and palm trees and gigantic rocks almost as big as the small islands. She felt a heaviness on her forehead, but ignored it.
It was only now that she noticed another woman lying beside her. She sat up and rolled the unconscious woman’s body to face her.
“Shy?”
An oval shaped ruby is embedded on Shy’s forehead. Arya still felt a throbbing ache on hers. When she touched her forehead, she did not feel her skin but instead a cold stone. She stood up, ran to the waters and gazed at her reflection. Indeed, she had a ruby embedded on her forehead just like Shy.
A red cape floated towards her.
When it reached her feet, she read the words in black.
I’m gonna live forever.
And you’re gonna keep me company.

Prompts provided through The Writing Challenge app:
Start writing a story that…
1. Begins with this sentence: The trap was prepared.
2. Include this element in the plot: a notebook
3. Add a character who lives in a boat
4. Add a charater who is chased
5. Include this sentence: They entered the empty room and…
6. Include a dialogue that begins with: I’m gonna live forever
7. Include this sentence: Where was the cook when…
8. Add a scene that takes place in a desert island
9. Include this element in the plot: a jewel
10. End the story with: a cape
VictoriaR
Currently Reading: Thrones, Dominations
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by VictoriaR »

Wow, you did well considering all the prompts you were given. I never could have put them together into a coherent story.
This sentence: "They entered the empty room and Bryn got a hold of Arya, tackling her to the ground." I think it needs more action, although I know you were constrained by the prompt. Something like: :She dashed into the empty room. Bryn grabbed her and shoved her to the ground."

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”