THE HIGH SCHOOL VICTIMS

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

THE HIGH SCHOOL VICTIMS

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

THE HIGH SCHOOL VICTIMS
Chapter one

After hours of play, as the sun began to set in the east, nightfall arrived.

"Oh, Banke, I can't see the Suwe lines we drew. It's getting late, and Mama will be home soon. I still have my chores to do; you know I need to split the firewood before she returns from the farm," Ajani fretted.

"Yes, it's getting dark, but just one more game. Let's see who wins the last round, or should I claim victory with a score of 4 to 1?" Banke suggested enthusiastically.

Without hesitation, Ajani agreed to continue the Suwe game.

"It bothers me that your friends aren't here to witness how I turned the Warri champion into my cleaner. I think 5 to 1 is fair enough for you as a takeaway," Banke said proudly.

"It's already late; we need to stop the game," Ajani replied.

Mama Ajani nearly shouted, "Ajani, come inside!" before she heard her son say, "Mammi, I'm coming," in the local Egba accent spoken in their western Nigerian village.

"Banke, you've done enough with me today. I haven't split the firewood, and playing with you has distracted me," Ajani lamented.

Before Ajani could find a way to sneak home unnoticed, Mama Ajani was already standing behind him.

"I told you not to play with that spoiled child, and now you're in trouble. A well-behaved boy shouldn't be outside at this hour. It's 7:30 pm; you'll regret this when your father returns from the farm," Mama Ajani scolded angrily, then turned her ire towards Banke.

"And you! What are you good for? Your peers are helpful to their parents, but you... I don't know what you contribute to your family or where you're headed, spoiled child."

"I'm sorry, ma," Banke replied.

"Don't let me catch you near my son again, and you'll face the consequences of your actions when your father returns," Mama Ajani warned.

Banke quickly left for home, thinking about the Ewedu soup his grandma promised to prepare.

"Grandma," Banke called out.

"Yes, my son, Banke, I'm in the backyard," Grandma replied warmly.

"What are you still doing? I'm hungry. Is the soup ready?" Banke asked.

"Just wait for five more minutes, my son. If you had been here earlier, you would have eaten by now," Grandma replied gently.

"Banke, go fetch the hand fan and help me blow the fire. I'll make your favorite Amala," Grandma said, anticipating Banke's reluctance.

"I knew you'd have some tasks for me. That's why I didn't come home early. Where's the hand fan?" Banke responded with a touch of arrogance, as he was spoiled and accustomed to being pampered by his grandma.

Out of love and affection for her adopted grandson, Banke, who had lost his father, Grandma never hesitated to do everything for him. Banke was already 11 years old, and Grandma would recite African proverbs to him every night.

It was early in the morning when Olufunbi went to the farm, continuing his family tradition. After finishing primary school at Odetedo Community Primary School, he became a palm wine tapper, known for selling the best wine in the village. He excelled in his work and never settled for anything less than his best.

Maybe it was his worn-out belt or Olufunbi's momentary lapse of caution that caused him to fall from the palm tree he was tapping.

"Gbam! What was that sound?" Ede, the hunter, asked his two sons who were hunting with him in the forest.

"Father, it sounded like a tree being cut, and it fell in an unexpected direction," Sele, the younger son, replied.

"Be quiet, you ignorant boy. Go check what happened while we continue to monitor the deer," Ede instructed.

In no time, Sele returned looking terrified and unable to explain what he had seen.

"Father, I saw something," Sele stammered, pointing to where he had come from, sweating profusely.

"What did you see? A ghost or a bear?" Ede asked.

"No, Father, I saw Olufunbi, the wine tapper, lying on the ground with blood in his mouth. I think he fell from the palm tree," Sele explained.

"Impossible! It can't be true; it can't be Olufunbi," Ede responded in disbelief.

Without delay, Ede and his sons rushed in the direction of the fall.

"What is this?" Ede exclaimed when they arrived at the scene.

He checked Olufunbi's breathing and tried to find a way to help him, but it was too late; Olufunbi had passed away.

"Father, what are you doing?" Sele asked.

"What did you see? A ghost or a bear?" Ede asked again.

"Father, I didn't mean it that way. I just meant I thought Olufunbi had died because of the fall," Sele clarified.

Ede was furious at Sele's ignorant words.

"You need to watch what you say; your words can come back to haunt you. I warn you," Ede admonished his son.

Banke's mother had also passed away before Olufunbi's tragic accident, leaving Banke to be adopted by his grandmother, affectionately called Mama Eleko by the villagers due to her renowned Eko-making skills. Mama Eleko was known far and wide, even in neighboring villages.

Banke, the son of Olufunbi, was 11 years old and deeply loved by his grandmother. She would recite African proverbs to him every night as a sign of her affection.

Olufunbi's tragic accident had left a void in the family, but life went on, and Banke continued to be cared for by his loving grandmother.

Chapter two to be continued! Thanks.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”