My Brother (Very Short Story)

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Amalia Lantano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amalia-lantano.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: My Brother (Very Short Story)

Post by Amalia Lantano »

It feels like reading a confession from a victim of violence which implies that you did a great job writing it. It is realistic enough to make the reader feel what the author has written.
Tch0c0lat3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tch0c0lat3 »

The story has a wonderful surprise ending. It definitely took an unexpected turn. There are a lot of questions left unanswered. Why did the brother kill himself or why is he dead? What are the parents thoughts? What ends up happening to the main character? What could have caused such strange behavior? I felt it was too short because now so much curiosity. I really enjoyed it though. Very suspenseful and the kids behavior in the beginning is very spooky.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

baileerose9 wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 02:33 I often thought about going to a therapist and how he would want to know about my family background. I'd have to tell him about my brother, and he wouldn’t even wait till I finished to commit me. I’d tell him when it all started. How my brother would sit outside my door every night. He’d bang his head over and over, well, at least I think it was his head, I couldn’t tell since he was outside of my door. He’d bang on my door for a good 5 minutes, loud enough for me to hear, but never loud enough to alarm my parents. After he would bang and bang, he’d open my door and stare at me, the light of the hallway making his figure dark and terrifying. Sometimes he would mumble incoherent words that I couldn't understand, a made up language I assumed. Other times, he would laugh a very low and creepy laugh as he looked at me. Most of the time, he just stood and stared. He’d come in my room after some time and pet my head like I was a dog and make noises one would to a baby. Then he would slowly leave my room after about 30 minutes. I would be so scared, i’d sit in bed, up all night. Hence the reason my parents used to say I need to talk to a therapist, find out what was making me not sleep at night since I wouldn’t admit why I couldn’t sleep. One time, I came close to telling my parents, but I didn’t and that night, when he was petting my head, his hand pressed into my throat and his fingers wrapped around my neck, causing me to thrash around. The reason I wouldn’t tell is because I felt he would kill me finally. Like he did himself all those years ago. He has been a figment of my imagination for years, I know that he wasn’t really there, but his touch just feels so real, ya know?

This is a short story I'd want to be longer.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Captivating piece, and makes my heart thud now in the middle of the night. I wonder if his brother is really a figment of his mind or real as an apparition. Seems open ended to me, I loved it!
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

This feels so real. Its a well written story with a captivating title.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
hansa_boricha02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hansa_boricha02 »

The story though fictiuos seems real. The writer has good narrative with simple words and the way he has narrated in brief is also commendable. The love for his brother as wrll for his parents can be felt as he does not disclose the strange behavior of his brother to his parents because they may feel dejected. In just few lines the author is able to grip the reader by his narration.
ObianujuJane
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obianujujane.html
Latest Review: The VD Anthology by Various

Post by ObianujuJane »

This is a work of fiction and it really feels so real that I could almost feel the exact moment he attempted murder.
Imaginations can do a lot of things to us as kids and I am so tense right now thinking how you must have been scared enduring such.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

Excellent, a realistic ghost story.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

It was terrific. The last twist was excellent!!! I believed at first that the brother was having some phycological issues, but I didn't expect the outcome. Short but thrilling. Keep writing stories. The atmosphere you create within a passage is amazing.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”