What Grace Means to Me

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
Benita Otu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What Grace Means to Me

Post by Benita Otu »

This is a beautiful piece. It shows balance in different desires
Sonia Anas
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Sonia Anas »

Scott Hughes' poem, "What Grace Means to Me," delves into the multifaceted nature of grace and its application in daily life. Through themes of balance, self-awareness, inner peace, and assertiveness, the poem navigates the complexities of grace with depth and clarity. Structured in free verse, the poem's rhythmic flow and use of contrasting ideas create a harmonious narrative that resonates universally. Its impact is both personal and empowering, urging readers to embrace their humanity while striving for contentment and authenticity. Notable lines such as "To be alive, but not discontent" and "To treat your flesh as your temple, but not your true self" encapsulate the poem's profound insights and offer guidance for self-improvement. Overall, Hughes' poem is a testament to the beauty and significance of grace in shaping a fulfilling and meaningful existence.
Chidozie Nwankwo

Post by Chidozie Nwankwo »

The definition of grace is aptly summed up in Scott Hughes' poem "What Grace Means to Me" as a harmony between resiliency and vulnerability, assertiveness and compassion, vulnerability and strength. This thoughtful essay explores the importance of leading a purposeful, moral life and handling life's challenges with dignity and intelligence.
Julie Thomas 7

Post by Julie Thomas 7 »

I think it represents the meaning of grace very well and also well written I liked it.
Aneeka Adeel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Aneeka Adeel »

It's a thought provoking poem and tells how one can maintain balance in life without losing self respect and self esteem.
Rizza Berdan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizza-berdan.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by Rizza Berdan »

I like how the poem tells us to be kind and forgive others, but also to respect ourselves. It makes me want to find inner peace and be happy while still doing my best in life.
Arzina Khan
Currently Reading:

Post by Arzina Khan »

I really really like this poem. It is so thoughtful and I am sure that many people would relate to this poem and feel it just like me. Hats off to the poet for writing such a beautiful poem. I really love it.
Henrietta Ampofo

Post by Henrietta Ampofo »

what grace means to me" by Scott Hughes is a heartfelt exploration of the concept of grace and its significance in the poet's life. The poem delves into the multifaceted nature of grace, moving beyond its traditional religious connotations to encompass broader themes of forgiveness, acceptance, and redemption.

Hughes skillfully uses vivid imagery and evocative language to convey the depth of his personal experience with grace. Each stanza unfolds like a meditation, inviting readers to reflect on their own encounters with grace and its transformative power.

The poem is structured around a series of contemplative reflections, with each stanza offering a new perspective on grace. From the gentle touch of a loved one to the quiet moments of self-reflection, Hughes explores the myriad ways in which grace manifests itself in everyday life.

One of the most striking aspects of the poem is its sincerity and vulnerability. Hughes lays bare his own struggles and imperfections, inviting readers to share in his journey of self-discovery and spiritual growth.

Overall, "what grace means to me" is a beautifully crafted poem that speaks to the universal human experience of seeking and finding grace in the midst of life's challenges. Hughes' lyrical language and poignant insights make this poem a truly memorable exploration of a timeless theme.
Sandra Addo

Post by Sandra Addo »

This is an actual masterpiece.... It really spoke to me in ways unimaginable..... The reflection on life and its ups and downs and how to overcome them..... I love it
Amber Knipp

Post by Amber Knipp »

It speaks to me somehow I like that about the poem. It's like looking at two sides of the same coin.
Deborah -Emerald Akah

Post by Deborah -Emerald Akah »

Love it, especially the part that says "To choose to turn your life around, before it is too late and there's no life to turn around to." This statement really gave me a better idea on the meaning of grace.
Ubani Blessing Kelechi

Post by Ubani Blessing Kelechi »

It's the definition of what life should be in poetic words. I like the way it's general yet specific.
Ama Aan

Post by Ama Aan »

This is such a beautiful poem, showing us what we can be and what it's okay to be
Blessing Obahor

Post by Blessing Obahor »

A very philosophical piece indeed. Contrasting yet comparing.
This poem is gives an insight to what it means to be a good person.
Seth Madugu James
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seth-madugu-james.html
Latest Review: God is good by Margaret liu collins

Post by Seth Madugu James »

I thought this was extremely cool and inspirational. In particular, the sentence "To do without trying." I was struggling to understand it until I realized that sometimes you hardly even try to do the thing you really want to do when grace enters your life. For example, a football player seeking a scout or management may run across that person at a market or another location, and things can start from there. Something for which a person could search their entire life.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”