Don't Think About It

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
Sanamarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Don't Think About It

Post by Sanamarie »

The waves crash below me
As I sit alone
And think back to all the people and places

I think about friends that I used to have
And I think about things that I used to want
And I think about dreams that I used to dream

I wonder where my joy has gone
Why is it so fragile now
Some days burn with fiery glee
And others
Most of the others
Are bleak and tired and grey

Did I ever have friends and dreams
Was I ever happy
Or is it a fabricated memory
That I keep to fight off my despair

That is what I feel
Despair
But is it easier not to think about it
Instead I watch as the waves crash below
The air is warm and salty from the spray
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I don't know if I'm supposed to say this, but your poem is kind of depressing. Not that that's bad - but I don't even know you and I want to make sure you are all right! I like the poem and think that it is relevant to many people. It reminds me, in a way, of a poem by William Butler Yeats entitled "The Fascination of What's Difficult". You write, "I wonder where my joy has gone" and he provides a possible answer in his poem, years before yours was written by you: "The fascination of what's difficult has dried the sap out of my veins and rent spontaneous joy and natural content out of my heart..."
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Sanamarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sanamarie »

Well it is depressing for sure! I will definitely have a look at the The Fascination of What's Difficult. I think a great thing about poetry is that it can really capture the essence of a feeling and, when things are down you can read a great poem and find out that someone else that you never met felt exactly the same way. When I write poems I always find a lot of clarity.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Sorrow and grief are intertwined in this piece. I love it and hope you are okay.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Wonderful poem. Sometimes, there is nothing better than being in front of the ocean. Great job. :tiphat:
Veena_Balakrishnan
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Eleven Minutes
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veena-balakrishnan.html
Latest Review: The Binding Stone by Liz D. Marx

Post by Veena_Balakrishnan »

Sanamarie wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 10:15 Well it is depressing for sure! I will definitely have a look at the The Fascination of What's Difficult. I think a great thing about poetry is that it can really capture the essence of a feeling and, when things are down you can read a great poem and find out that someone else that you never met felt exactly the same way. When I write poems I always find a lot of clarity.
Couldn't agree more with you. And yes I too am able to find some sort of a solace and clarity in writing poems. It feels like you are leaving a pice of your soul impregnated with meanings and mystery out to the world and that you are making a mark of your own. Maybe no one could interpret all the emotions hidden in them but it sometimes can feel like there might be someone in this world who could grasp that piece of you afterall!

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”