Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 92

Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds like a really good book from all the comments. I will have to check it out on Amazon and see if I can buy it....I've never read anything by John Green. The fault in our stars didn't seem like a book I'd like but maybe this one is different.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed it overall but also got annoyed with some parts. It did a great job of keeping me on my toes and keeping my anxiety level up. I think I kept preparing myself so much for the moment when Quentin would finally find Margo dead that the ending was a bit of a let down when nothing big happened.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Mastering the Art of French Murder
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the author's writing style and the passages with Quentin, Radar, and Ben. I particularly liked Quentin and Radar as characters. They were well developed, believable characters. The witty banter and funny observations were outstanding. The things that kept me from giving the book 4 stars were:

- I thought the whole revenge romp went on too long at the beginning of the story. At some point, I thought this is getting ridiculous. I thought this entire section could have been edited and shortened.
- I thought Margo's character was too strange and I didn't find her actions believable.
- The middle of the story dragged a little. I wanted to get on with Quentin's search for Margo. The prom storyline was not my cup of tea.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

Overall, this was a great book, very entertaining, informative, memorable and adventurous. If you are a dedicated fiction reader, as I am, love to reminisce about those high school years and are up for laughs, mystery, puppy love and adventure…then I would highly suggest you read Paper Towns. This is the first book I have read by John Green however, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will always remember what a Paper Town is and continuously look for them wherever I may go. I would rate this book with 4 stars. It has all the items required to keep me fully engaged and continuously turning pages. I must admit when I finished the book I was a bit disappointed to let the characters go. I want to know what happens the summer after high school and beyond.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
aimel369
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimel369.html
Reading Device: B00I8XELOM

Post by aimel369 »

Sounds like a good book. I am planing on reading it. But i don't have time right now maybe i will start it next week
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

The first clip from the Paper Towns movie debuted during the MTV Movie Awards pre-show.
http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/118394 ... brow.jhtml
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

I am looking forward to reading this book. It is next on my list
Amywoolum
Currently Reading: the chase
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amywoolum.html

Post by Amywoolum »

looking forward to reading paper town i have heard a lot of good things about it.
abasto123
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abasto123.html

Post by abasto123 »

I have not read this book yet but with all the great reviews, I'm looking forward to it!
deah319
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deah319.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by deah319 »

I really enjoyed reading this book. John Green's writing is so captivating, I felt like a teenager again. I cannot remember the last time a novel made me burst out laughing in the middle of the night. Yet it kept me at the edge of my seat wondering if finding Robert Joyner's body was some sort of a prelude to what Quentin would find in Agloe. I gave this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Yes, there were some parts where I skimmed through the pages and some of Margo's actions were utterly ridiculous. But these characters are young, self-centered and impulsive which makes them interesting and intriguing. If their decisions ignite outrage in their readers then the author has done his job.
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines who you will be when you can't help it" - Oscar Wilde
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have finished it today and overall found it rather pointless. This is the first book I have read by John Green and probably the last. I enjoyed the writing, but thought the plot was weak and the mission and the road trip endless. It started well and then went downhill. I thought the revenge romp went on too long, the middle was very slow and the ending was disappointing. I think the whole book should have been edited and shortened. I didn't like Margo and found her selfish and self-centered. I liked Q, but found his actions odd. Some parts were funny, but most were boring. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

gali wrote:I have finished it today and overall found it rather pointless. This is the first book I have read by John Green and probably the last. I enjoyed the writing, but thought the plot was weak and the mission and the road trip endless. It started well and then went downhill. I thought the revenge romp went on too long, the middle was very slow and the ending was disappointing. I think the whole book should have been edited and shortened. I didn't like Margo and found her selfish and self-centered. I liked Q, but found his actions odd. Some parts were funny, but most were boring. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
Ah! I'm so glad to find someone that is on the same page as me with this book. I kept getting frustrated and thinking, "Oh, you silly young kids. Why are you doing this?" Margo was so selfish, which I found very frustrating. I posted a clip from the upcoming movie in this forum yesterday. I watched the clip, and it just made me think that the movie looked just as boring as the book! haha! The problem is, I really like John Green! I love his videos for MentalFloss, and I think he has a lot of talent in writing and capturing the teen spirit. However, this book just didn't capture me.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

amybo82 wrote:
gali wrote:I have finished it today and overall found it rather pointless. This is the first book I have read by John Green and probably the last. I enjoyed the writing, but thought the plot was weak and the mission and the road trip endless. It started well and then went downhill. I thought the revenge romp went on too long, the middle was very slow and the ending was disappointing. I think the whole book should have been edited and shortened. I didn't like Margo and found her selfish and self-centered. I liked Q, but found his actions odd. Some parts were funny, but most were boring. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
Ah! I'm so glad to find someone that is on the same page as me with this book. I kept getting frustrated and thinking, "Oh, you silly young kids. Why are you doing this?" Margo was so selfish, which I found very frustrating. I posted a clip from the upcoming movie in this forum yesterday. I watched the clip, and it just made me think that the movie looked just as boring as the book! haha! The problem is, I really like John Green! I love his videos for MentalFloss, and I think he has a lot of talent in writing and capturing the teen spirit. However, this book just didn't capture me.
The book didn't capture me as well nor did it capture my friends. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Little Nighten Owl
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-nighten-owl.html

Post by Little Nighten Owl »

This isn't really a book I would get into. I'm not the type of person to enjoy the genre but the hype was high a while back. I would probably see people reading this book who love Nicholas Sparks. Like I said, not something I would ever pick up but there are those out there who would enjoy it.
smerz
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smerz.html

Post by smerz »

I read Paper Towns before I read The Fault in Our Stars. I liked both, but The Fault in Our Stars was a more emotionally intense read. Paper Towns was good and I would recommend to young adults. However, the ending left something to be desired.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”