Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 92

trisprior
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trisprior.html

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by trisprior »

John Green. John Green. John Green.

This was the novel that made me love John Green. It's so beautiful and funny and got me crying in an instant then laughing my butt off in another instant. I love all the mystery presented here, the story had so much development plot-wise. So much happened and there were so many plot twists and everything made me just want to marry the novel.
The characters were so real and this is the first time I've read a John Green book and actually felt the characters have any depth. It just touched me in every way. One of my favorites.
jalynnashford
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jalynnashford.html

Post by jalynnashford »

This book is great! Just like all of John Green's work. He has a special gift for intriguing you into the story.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I have just started reading Paper Towns. There are so many mixed feelings involving this book, I can't wait to delve into it further to see for myself! Will post again when I am done reading it.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
aimel369
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimel369.html
Reading Device: B00I8XELOM

Post by aimel369 »

I would give it 4 out of 4. According to me it was amazing. I liked it more than I liked Fault in Our stars. It was funny, mysterious, and Fun to read. I highlighted 40 % of the book to mark my favorite parts. I would definitely recommend it to read. :D
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

This is my third John Green book. And I can definitely see John Green's brand of humor in Paper Town. The humor is awesome, and the plot is really intriguing and exciting and meaningful. It's a touching about growing up and finding yourself. However, John Green's writing style doesn't really appeal to me.

I still read his books anyway.

I really think that John Green's humor is an acquired taste, and it's not for everyone. But most people seem to really like it. I can't decide if I'm one of them.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
aimel369
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimel369.html
Reading Device: B00I8XELOM

Post by aimel369 »

trisprior wrote:John Green. John Green. John Green.

This was the novel that made me love John Green. It's so beautiful and funny and got me crying in an instant then laughing my butt off in another instant. I love all the mystery presented here, the story had so much development plot-wise. So much happened and there were so many plot twists and everything made me just want to marry the novel.
The characters were so real and this is the first time I've read a John Green book and actually felt the characters have any depth. It just touched me in every way. One of my favorites.
I totally agree with you.
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

I enjoyed reading this book, but I will say I liked The Fault in Our Stars better. Paper Towns has some pretty funny laugh-out-loud parts that kept me going and the mysterious Margo of course! Parts were brilliantly written and I liked that I learned something new and interesting from the book (about what a paper town means). Still, I was disappointed with the ending. The story kept building and building on this "Where is Waldo" theme and when the time came...it was a bit of a let down. I think my teenage daughter would like it for the accurate depiction of high school life, so I can say I'd recommend it to others. I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
arfina
Currently Reading: Heir of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arfina.html

Post by arfina »

Can't wait to read! I hear it's not good as TFiOS
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Post by tiffanynettles »

I really enjoyed reading Paper Towns. However, in the past I have read John Greene's Looking or Alaska and The Fault in our Star, and I found this book to be my least favorite out of the three. The book started off with a very entertaining beginning, and I had a very engaging plot to begin with. Then about half way through the book the entire mystery starts to really slow down, but then it picks up again towards the end. The book had some really funny parts, and I very much enjoy reading John Greene's style of writing. However, I also found the two main characters to be slightly annoying. They both came off as being very selfish toward the people that cared about them, but then again I suppose they are teenagers so it is fitting. I just felt that while this book was enjoyable it just didn't completely meet my standards towards John Greene's work.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
Laurawrites33
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurawrites33.html

Post by Laurawrites33 »

Have just begun reading this John Green novel. I watched the movie trailer yesterday, and it really got me excited about reading the book. I am a big John Green fan, and can't wait to get a little further into the novel to see what develops.
sarah_dak
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-dak.html

Post by sarah_dak »

I just bought Paper Towns and cannot wait to read it! It looks amazing!!
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

John Green in not one of my favorites. I couldn't get interested in this book at all.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I liked it a lot, it was witty and hard to put down. This is the second book I have read by John Green and definitely plan on reading more of his work.
madison121
Currently Reading: The elegance of the hedgehog
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by madison121 »

John Green is one of my favourite YA authors, yet paper town was not one of my favourite books of his, I rated it 3/5 due to the characters and the plot, although the characters are teens i find that the story can be interesting for older YA readers.
Melissa Coffield
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15364">Odd Thomas</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-coffield.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Melissa Coffield »

At first I did not care for any of the characters. However, they grew on me. I would have enjoyed this book as a young teen. The character of Margo disappointed me though. I am looking forward to the movie this summer.
Perseverance is impossible if we don't permit ourselves to hope.
Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”