Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.

How do you rate Paper Towns?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
3%
2 stars - fair, okay
16%
3 stars - good, recommend it
53%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
27%

Total votes: 91

kesh_dots
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Paper Towns"

Post by kesh_dots »

I read Paper Towns a few months ago and gave it 2/5 stars. I thought the beginning before Margo left was the only good part of the book. I found the rest of the storyline to be very dull and did not find myself caring if they ever found Margo.
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

Paper Towns by John Green is one of my favorite books. The psychology behind the characters is incredibly enthralling to me as a reader. I like to analyze the motivation behind Margo and Q. John Green does a phenomenal job once again with Paper Towns. Overall, I give this a 4 out of 4 stars on my bookshelves. Way to go, John Green!
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I recently saw the theatrical trailer for the movie, and it looked pretty interesting! I'm excited to see it to compare it to the book.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

amybo82 wrote:I recently saw the theatrical trailer for the movie, and it looked pretty interesting! I'm excited to see it to compare it to the book.
There's a movie?!?! What!?!?
Well, I guess I will see it in about 5 years when it finally comes to Japan. Straight to rental. :roll:
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I am super excited to start Paper Towns. I just saw the preview in the movie theater and I know that I am already hooked.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

This book looks pretty fascinating, thanks for everyone's insights. Movies based on books seem to be popping up like weeds. I just googled a few options for Book of the Month nominations and they've all been made into movies or are in the process of production! Can't believe I didn't even know. By the way do those restrictions still stand for nominations? That they can't have been made into films, be part of a series, etc.?
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
kayla1080
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Alice
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla1080.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by kayla1080 »

Paper Towns is the first John Green book I've ever read and I really enjoyed it! Boy, did it take me back to high school when these kinds of problems were all I had to worry about :) I also lived in Orlando, Florida for a bit so I experienced some nostalgia reading this book (the SunTrust building, Winter Park, the abandoned mini-mall out on Colonial Drive). But I do agree with ALynnPowers- this may as well have been called Looking for Margo.

Now I have to check out The Fault in Our Stars!
BColeman
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bcoleman.html
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko

Post by BColeman »

You guy's opinions on this book are great. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I just have too many in the que before this one lol.
Latest Review: "Burn for Home" by Ash Elko
pamdellinger

Post by pamdellinger »

Paper Towns is one of my favorite John Green books. I give it 4 stars. I enjoyed the characters and they way they developed. Some for the good and some not as well. It kept me guessing and I read it in one sitting.
amfrancis
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amfrancis.html

Post by amfrancis »

I love John Green, however, I found Paper Towns lacking. It was bad and I didn't hate it. I just didn't love it. I felt like the ending was something that you would expect. I was happy that Margo was able to "help" Quentin but I just expected so much more. I don't know, maybe I am being to critical. :?:
briannak08

Post by briannak08 »

Do you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?

In my opinion Paper Towns is the most exciting book written by John Green, even though there is a dull period between the actual finding of Margo and figuring out she was gone. I honestly enjoyed all the characters in the book even though Margo rubbed me the wrong way in the beginning and honestly who chases after a girl who was basically already gone in the first place? I guess what I love about this book is the fact I can relate. Unlike TFIOS, I don't struggle with cancer, but like Margo if I could leave tomorrow I would, but Im not that ballsy. This book was very well written, you can tell by the immense detail given about every place Quentin traveled and the thoughts going through his head. I would recommend this book to any teenage girl who love John Green books of course. I would also recommend this to anyone who loves more of an adventure romance book, this isn't the typical "meet a boy, something goes wrong, problem solved, happy ending" this book takes you on an actual adventure.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have to admit, it wasn't one of my favorite books. I thought it was just a book about a bunch of silly teenagers, which is pretty much what I thought it was going to be. Although I know that there are a lot of teenagers that don't really think before they act, there are a lot that do as well. I can see how this book might be enjoyable for others though. There were some humorous moments in the book. My opinion of the book is pretty much based off of personal preferences that I like in books. I only wanted to read Paper Towns because it was the book of the month.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I thought this was ok.

Margo reminds me of Joey in Dawson’s Creek, especially the ‘deep’ part of her character (i.e. poetry, vinyl records, worn-out copy of The Outsiders). However, I also find Margo to be a bit more selfish – main reason why I have never grown to like her character.

I do like the scenes where Radar, Ben and Q are all together. Their bantering before and after class were especially funny. I know I am in a minority here, but I find the scenes with Margo and Q to be the least interesting of all. :?
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
sydneyvolcko
Currently Reading: amy and roger's epic detour

Post by sydneyvolcko »

I absolutely loved "Paper Towns." I feel like it, while being rather extreme, is still able to reflect the average American teenager. This book is probably one of my favorites that I have read this year.
PicklePower

Post by PicklePower »

Paper Towns is my favorite John Green book. I think I'd give it 3.5-4/4 stars!

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”