What can fairy- tales teach us?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Moore
Bookshelf Size: 0

What can fairy- tales teach us?

Post by Moore »

We have been reading fairy-tales for ages, because we find them cute and funny. But what can they teach us and our kids? If we for example take Snow White? I think the fairy-tale can teach us to be hard-working and humble.
What are your ideas?
Last edited by Moore on 23 Oct 2009, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
ryan2

Post by ryan2 »

Besides metaphorical meanings, fairy tales also teach wonder and empathy.

These are the two most important things a kid can learn I think. Wonder would give a respect for the world. Empathy would give respect for others.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

They can teach us life wisdom, and they help us think and concentrate in difficult situations, though at first sight it may sem they're just a sort of entertainment
tinyViolin

Post by tinyViolin »

They can also enforce societal norms, like gender distinction, at a young age. They serve as warnings, too. Beware of strangers, don't disobey a rule, etc.

The old fairy tales, before Perrault cleaned them up, were pretty dirrrty stuff. Interesting, yes? They didn't so much concern themselves with wonder as much as navigating your way through a dangerous and cruel world. In other words, they were working class stories, not the elevated romanticism of the "idle" class.

Still, the Perrault and disney versions are sweet. I went to see "The Little Mermaid" with my dad and I knew even then the sacrifice to him, but he bore it well. Very sweet fatherly memory!

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”