How old are you?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Sophius
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sophius »

I'm fourteen. I suppose that makes me the yougest person on the forum. To be quite honest, that is rather uncomfortable.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Sophius wrote:I'm fourteen. I suppose that makes me the yougest person on the forum. To be quite honest, that is rather uncomfortable.
I think there are others that are about your age, so don't feel too uncomfortable! :wink:
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Sophius wrote:I'm fourteen. I suppose that makes me the yougest person on the forum. To be quite honest, that is rather uncomfortable.
There are a few teens here dont worry about it, its a forum for people of all ages and certainly your posts and opinions on books are as valid as anyones. I dont know if you are into them but if so, there are threads on the Twilight series in the "specific books" forum but if not then feel free to just contribute to the other forums, if you (or any other teens) want me to set up a specific thread for and about teens and their reading material then let me know no hassle. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

To be quite honest, teen books (especially the Twilight series) disgust me. Most teenagers are empty-headed sex obsessees, thus that being what is included in teen books. Besides, Teen books are way below my reading level, which was measured to be the equivalent of a twelth grader when I was in the sixth grade(age eleven.)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Sophius wrote:To be quite honest, teen books (especially the Twilight series) disgust me. Most teenagers are empty-headed sex obsessees, thus that being what is included in teen books. Besides, Teen books are way below my reading level, which was measured to be the equivalent of a twelth grader when I was in the sixth grade(age eleven.)
Ah well straight to Dostoyevsky & Proust for you then. But honestly it is a little extreme to describe any book as disgusting ... I mean if it's not your interest then surely the best option is to leave it on the shelf and not be exposing your sensibilities to being unnecessarily violated.

I hold with vive la différence & every man/woman to his/her own.
Happy Reading whatever genre you choose
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Sophius wrote:Most teenagers are empty-headed sex obsessees, thus that being what is included in teen books. Besides, Teen books are way below my reading level, which was measured to be the equivalent of a twelth grader when I was in the sixth grade(age eleven.)
As an adult I can tell you that the "sex obsession" never really disolves.

Reading level has very little to do with enjoyment. I've read books that are well below my reading level and have enjoyed them immensely. I've also read books that I would say are equivalent and were quite boring.

As young as you may be you need to learn to be a bit more humble.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

I'm 37...with two teenagers. In one house. And I'm still alive.
Feeling really old today, though.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Sophius wrote:To be quite honest, teen books (especially the Twilight series) disgust me. Most teenagers are empty-headed sex obsessees, thus that being what is included in teen books. Besides, Teen books are way below my reading level, which was measured to be the equivalent of a twelth grader when I was in the sixth grade(age eleven.)
Well you certainly have strong opinions on reading then, what kind of books do you normally like then? Not every teen will like Twilight as not every adult will dislike it so variety is a good thing. Given your views on teen reading, the mainstream teen books probably wont interest you, so do feel free to join in on any book discussions going on, post what book you are currently reading, give a review of a book you just read etc, that way more people will see your posts and may even want a debate with you!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Though they may be below your reading level, I wouldn't necessarily discredit all "teen" books. Every once in a while I'll pick up a Sandra Brown or an Anne Rice just to have that mindless entertainment. I do love my classics, but reading one after another can start to get a bit boring. Besides, some of my highly favorite books were from when I was a child and teen. You can't go wrong with The Wind in the Willows or The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle!!!
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Sophius

Post by Sophius »

StephenKingman wrote:Well you certainly have strong opinions on reading then, what kind of books do you normally like then?
Horror and sci-fi generally. My favorite authors are Edgar Allen Poe, Bram Stoker, Frank Herbert, and Stephen King.
Jennyfields

Post by Jennyfields »

I will be 23 in March.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

22 February 28th!
I absolutely agree with Swing.
I'm already expecting a midlife crisis. I actually requested the week of my birthday off so i can curl up and cry through my panic. :(
I dont like birthdays! They make me older! Ugh.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

laci_baby wrote:22 February 28th!
I'm already expecting a midlife crisis. I actually requested the week of my birthday off so i can curl up and cry through my panic. :(
Yea .... but just give a little thought to the alternative .
:cry: :cry: :cry:
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
laci_baby wrote:22 February 28th!
Yea .... but just give a little thought to the alternative .
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Give over Fran, 26 is still young and you know it :wink:
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

True. True, Fran. But still. Anyone know where that fountain of youth is?
You know your younger than you think you are, Fran. :wink:
And yes that was meant to confuse you... heehee!
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”