What made you miserable today?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What made you miserable today?

Post by Bighuey »

Here the fast time is after about 8 or 9 pm until about noon the next day.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Geneen Karstens
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Geneen Karstens »

@Coldfire Thanks for qualifying your remarks. What I know about computers is like a pebble in an ocean. I understand from your conversation with Bighuey that you are having some serious problems.
That I do know about, unfortunately. I sincerely hope they work out for the best. When they've happened to me, I've tried to concentrate on a passage from the Bible...."This too shall pass"...and one way or another it always does.Good luck.
A24

Post by A24 »

Well, we are bracing for this huge Hurricane/northeaster storm "Sandy". Where we live, there isn't a mandatory evacuation but it's going to be very nasty for the next few days. We live right where the storm is estimated to make landfall in New Jersey! Pray we fare well!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

A24 wrote:Well, we are bracing for this huge Hurricane/northeaster storm "Sandy". Where we live, there isn't a mandatory evacuation but it's going to be very nasty for the next few days. We live right where the storm is estimated to make landfall in New Jersey! Pray we fare well!
Heard about that on the News ... I do hope everyone remains safe & that damage is minimal. Take care A24 & heed the warnings.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

A24 wrote:Well, we are bracing for this huge Hurricane/northeaster storm "Sandy"...
Best wishes that you make it through OK, A24!

Strange coincidence that you posted about Sandy. I was worrying about an internet friend from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and about to PM him on another forum. He beat me to it with his own PM. He has just been diagnosed as having cancer, and is likely to have to have his jaw removed, and get nutrition through a tube for the rest of his life. Miserable isn't the word for how I feel about the poor dear old chap. :cry: :cry: :cry:
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Geneen Karstens

Wow Coldfire, that is really sad. How awful that must be! Also A24...sure hope you make it safely through the storm.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Geneen Karstens wrote:Wow Coldfire, that is really sad. How awful that must be!...
Too right, Geneen! And I'm feeling terrible for several reasons. One is that he will probably die soon, and I'll be so sad without him as a friend. Another is that he is "too clever" to have faith, and he is suffering without even the comfort of religion. Another is that I was only a day ago asking my friends to sympathize with my problems, which are so trivial in comparison. And --- worst of all --- I should have been a proper friend to him and replied to his PM immediately with the usual words of sympathy. But I am so deeply upset that I am at a loss for words, and haven't replied yet. That is making me feel really inadequate and guilty...
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Fran

Post by Fran »

@C0ldf1re
I am so very sorry to hear about your friend's illness and your pain ... warmest thoughts to you both.
I'm sure your friend will understand that you needed time to come to terms with such news. Take your time and when you are ready reply to him from the heart with honesty and love. Don't beat yourself up over the religion thing, many people find comfort and consolation outside of religion, just respect your friends right to deal with this difficult diagnosis in his way and give him your love and support .... at the end of the day that's all any of us can do for our friends.
My thoughts will be with you both, take care.
- My Home by Clive James
Geneen Karstens

@Coldfire Fran said it all..I agree with her totally. Hang in there.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Thanks Fran! Thanks Geneen!

I did write to my friend with all the proper words of sympathy, and tried to explain why I was too upset to reply immediately. He replied that he was very touched and grateful.

It seems that there is no end to his problems. I knew that he had an internet business, and, since he is highly intelligent, I had assumed that it would be thriving. It seems that, quite to the contrary, his business has withered since he fell ill.

He says that he had a lot of problems finding a doctor who would treat him on Medicare. It sounds like our British National Health Service, but nowhere near as good.

Anyway, I resolved to pay more attention to maintaining my own health. Back into the cupboard went the booze, to be replaced with nice healthy blueberry juice... Or is it? I've just looked at the cartons and calculated that, on blueberry juice alone, I've today consumed twice the recommended sugar allowance for an adult. Now to worry about diabetes... :cry:
Geneen Karstens

I am concerned for members of the Forum who live on the east coast of the US. Sandy has really devastated those states. Not only do they have rain and wind, the fires are also taking many homes and buildings. I fear it will be weeks and possibly months to recuperate from this hurricane. My prayers are with them.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Geneen Karstens wrote:I am concerned for members of the Forum who live on the east coast of the US. Sandy has really devastated those states. Not only do they have rain and wind, the fires are also taking many homes and buildings. I fear it will be weeks and possibly months to recuperate from this hurricane. My prayers are with them.
Watching it on TV & must be extremly scary ... sincerely hope there are no fatalities. My thoughts are with everyone on the East Coast and especially our Forum friends. :(
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

A24 wrote:Well, we are bracing for this huge Hurricane/northeaster storm "Sandy". Where we live, there isn't a mandatory evacuation but it's going to be very nasty for the next few days. We live right where the storm is estimated to make landfall in New Jersey! Pray we fare well!
"Sandy" has been getting massive coverage here in Aus. It was on tv all day yesterday. Hope you and your loved ones are ok A24. Stay safe!
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

(Hangover...)

But some good news. My internet friend was at State College in Pennsylvania, right in the center of Sandy's predicted course. But she turned north instead of west, and missed him. :)
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Hurricane Sandy...kills 30 people in the glittery East Coast of America.....in the Phillipines, typhoons and hurricanes kill dozens on a regular basis, dont recall seeing any of that in the media. Wonder why, could it be because the American media controls the world and dictates what is and what isnt a tragedy and keeps the spotlight firmly on the beautiful people of New York and surrounding areas...makes me sick.
You only live once.....so live!

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”