Learning a new language

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Learning a new language

Post by ErikaP13 »

Firstly, I know there are a few other posts on here about speaking more than one language and learning new languages, but none of them are exactly what I want.

From a quick search on this forum, I've noticed a lot of people saying they want to learn a new language. Most people, in my opinion, have at least one or more languages they want to speak/read. What I want to ask everyone is, would you or do you go out of your way to actually learn a new language?

I can't remember a time in my life I wasn't busy learning one language or another. True, more often than not, I would pick up a new language and then switch to another one before even getting a proper grip on the one I was busy with. So far, I've tried to learn 4 new languages on top of the 2 I'm already fluent in.
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

Thoroughly learning a new language to the point of fluency is a persistent struggle for me. It’s something I never stop aspiring to in the back of my mind, but it’s also something that falls by the wayside the minute life gets a little busy. So I guess the answer to your question is no, I don’t go out of my way to learn a new language. Perhaps that reflects poorly on me, but it’s true.
kristy_dawn+dotson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kristy_dawn+dotson »

Learning a new lauguage is always a grat occupation to have the world is changing and we need to all be fluent in differnt languages. From my point of view, its a little tough to learn new lauguages when you were rained to skeap your culture,and or ethnic groups lauguage. Its a grate way to test your brains power of funtion,and hey you may help someone who dosnt speak certine languges. Its always fun to explore differnt. Cultures languages try it you might just like it.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

Readeatrepeat1 wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 05:26 Thoroughly learning a new language to the point of fluency is a persistent struggle for me. It’s something I never stop aspiring to in the back of my mind, but it’s also something that falls by the wayside the minute life gets a little busy. So I guess the answer to your question is no, I don’t go out of my way to learn a new language. Perhaps that reflects poorly on me, but it’s true.
It doesn't reflect poorly on you at all
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

kristy_dawn+dotson wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 06:03 Learning a new lauguage is always a grat occupation to have the world is changing and we need to all be fluent in differnt languages. From my point of view, its a little tough to learn new lauguages when you were rained to skeap your culture,and or ethnic groups lauguage. Its a grate way to test your brains power of funtion,and hey you may help someone who dosnt speak certine languges. Its always fun to explore differnt. Cultures languages try it you might just like it.
I also come from a cultural background where people encourage pride in this one specific language. And yes, it's still an issue with them if I throw in an English word here or there, or make some other cultural reference. To a lot of people, learning other languages can be a way to tarnish any home language. I don't think it does though. Learning a new language or going out of your way to interact with different languages and cultures doesn't cheapen our home language or home cultures.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I always say or count the number of languages I want to learn, starting with French. But I have been occupied with school work that I hardly have the time to start learning or speaking. Even though it takes time, I still want to make sure I learn all the languages I have on my list.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I took a Japanese class years before. It was all for fun and I wasn't that committed to learn the language. Now if I want to learn it again, I'd prefer using the exercises and textbooks I bought for that class and learn by myself.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

Aisha_123 wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:11 I always say or count the number of languages I want to learn, starting with French. But I have been occupied with school work that I hardly have the time to start learning or speaking. Even though it takes time, I still want to make sure I learn all the languages I have on my list.
It can sometimes be as little as five minutes a day. It doesn't have to be full 2 hour sessions although those are fun too). Luckily there are so many apps to make it easier for us.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

Inkroverts wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:49 I took a Japanese class years before. It was all for fun and I wasn't that committed to learn the language. Now if I want to learn it again, I'd prefer using the exercises and textbooks I bought for that class and learn by myself.
Japanese can be so hard on your own though. Good luck!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

ErikaP13 wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 10:48
Aisha_123 wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:11 I always say or count the number of languages I want to learn, starting with French. But I have been occupied with school work that I hardly have the time to start learning or speaking. Even though it takes time, I still want to make sure I learn all the languages I have on my list.
It can sometimes be as little as five minutes a day. It doesn't have to be full 2 hour sessions although those are fun too). Luckily there are so many apps to make it easier for us.

Yes there are so many apps. It is really just the timing. I do hope when I get off school I will be able to start with one.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

It's really hard for me to learn a new language but recently I've been trying really hard to learn ASL and it's been way easier for me because I've always been the type to be more hands on. Also, it's fun to learn.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I am trilingual. I didn't try to learn any of the languages I can speak now. I learned them as a child through the years. But I really want to learn new languages. It's a bit tough, but I am learning Korean now.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I've been taking Spanish classes and trying to learn the language for years, but I'm still not anyway near fluent. It's really fun to learn new languages, though, so I would definitely continue going out of my way to continue working on my Spanish and learning other languages.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I think one has to go out of their ways to learn a new language. Because we're doing something we didn't before and that requires us to make efforts we didn't before.
When I started Korean it was all gibberish but now I can read and write and speak, not accurately but I'm still learning.
It's honestly fun to think in a language that doesn't belong to you but the better you get at it, you start belonging to it(if that makes sense).
And now I wanna add more languages to my cart, but I won't begin with a new one, not until I can hold conversations in Korean.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I'm trying to learn Korean for the past year, I have books for it, but sometimes I also use kdramas as a learning source. I don't when I will be proficient in it though because I don't have spare time anymore.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”