Favorite singer

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: Favorite singer

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Pretty much anything country. I am big into country music. Luke Bryan is one of my Favorites. But Tim McGraw is my number 1 favorite!
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I have two favorite singers of all time, and they are my mom and sister. My mom sings country like nobody's business. Actually, she could probably put Faith Hill OUT of business! My sister is the next great Celtic singer of the world. I'm not the only one who thinks about the two of their voices that way, either. ;)

Of those who are singing and have sung professionally, my favorite is... well... everybody on the site should know that. ;) I have to be one of the biggest fans of opera ever... I love everything about it, and Maria Callas represents everything that makes it one of the greatest artistic accomplishments of mankind...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loveabull »

I'll second somebody on Van Morrison, he could sing a cat food commercial and just wonderful...in no order...
Frank Sinatra
Darius Rucker
Any of the fellas in Marshall Tucker
Steve Winwood
Ronnie Van Zandt
James Dewar
Bob Seger
Ray Charles

Funny I always picked male vocalists, my voice is a few octaves below Lauren Bacall, much easier to sing with the guys. I'm not exaggerating, I can imitate both hubby and sons on the phone.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:I have two favorite singers of all time, and they are my mom and sister. My mom sings country like nobody's business. Actually, she could probably put Faith Hill OUT of business! My sister is the next great Celtic singer of the world. I'm not the only one who thinks about the two of their voices that way, either. ;)

Of those who are singing and have sung professionally, my favorite is... well... everybody on the site should know that. ;) I have to be one of the biggest fans of opera ever... I love everything about it, and Maria Callas represents everything that makes it one of the greatest artistic accomplishments of mankind...
Right on Nathrad! big Callas fan here!
Hate what that SKUNK Onassis did to her, she deserved better ( however LOVED how he screwed Gold-digger / Jackie, by not leaving her a dime in his will ) :wink:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I have all of Maria's legendary recordings... well, except for the famed 1955 "La Traviata" with Giulini conducting... and I just don't get tired of hearing her. I think she got a raw deal in life, certainly... and I think that had a lot to do with her vocal decline... but I thought she did great in some of her recordings just before and after 1960. There is something magical that happens every time I hear her. I'm transported... elsewhere. ;) What is your favorite recording of hers? I have several, including the 1957 "Il Trovatore" with Karajan, the 1955 "Madama Butterfly" with Karajan, the 1953 studio "Norma," which really shows everything she's got, I think, and the 1959 "La Gioconda." Of course, these aren't my only favorites, but I own every one of her studio recordings and two fourteen- disc sets of her live recordings and, well, to list them all... ;) I think she defined the art of the prima donna. She was more than just a singer on a stage, for sure. She acted, too! :D There's so much color in her voice, so much personality, and so many surprises, and the screaming she could do!!! It's thrilling! No voice in opera equals Callas'.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I agree, a true Diva!...

my two faves are the aria from Madame Butterfly ( one fine day ) it never ceases to give me the chills till this day...

Ave Maria...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Callas is the only one who can make me cry in the role of Madama Butterfly. Her aria at the end of the opera, Con Onor Muore, is one of the most powerful EVER. Her Un Bel Di is without equal. Throughout the rest of the opera, she is astonishing, brilliant! I've heard Mirella Freni's, Renata Tebaldi's, and Renata Scotto's, and, nope, they're not Callas. :) I can't believe her voice was ever made fun of when she was at the conservatory in Greece.

Honestly, I even thought she was a consistently beautiful lady, heavy or thin. Two of my favorite pictures of her are from her "fat Wagnerian" stage. I don't think anybody should have ever pointed a finger at her for ANY reason.

-Edgar Allan Poe
thruglass1214

Post by thruglass1214 »

Corey Taylor. Not a bad writer either. I am in the middle of reading his newest. Seven Deadly Sins was a fantastic book. I hope he continues to write more.
LoveMusic_AK

Post by LoveMusic_AK »

I absolutely LOVE Ross Lynch with all my heart! I just LOVE his sound and what he's about! :mrgreen:
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

Nickelback as of right now.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

Paul McCartney
Robert Plant
Freddie Mercury
Marcus Mumford
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

Well, here are a few of the many

Placebo
Muse
Phillip Phillips
Hugh Laurie
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Galina Vishnevskaya and Galina Gorchakova are two new interests of mine. Vishnevskaya's repertoire is more colorful than Gorchakova's, but Callas didn't sing all the roles she did, and Netrebko hasn't taken interest in most of them (A pity, really) and they were and are fantastic. Vishnevskaya simply had one of those voices that had to be legendary if anything. It could be nothing else. Some of my favorites of the selections I've found on the web that include her are excerpts from Shostakovich's "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk," Puccini's "Tosca," and Tchaikovsky's "Pique Dame." She was also an amazing recitalist. There was hardness, even ferocity at times, in every part of her, but her voice, whether it strike or stroke the ear, is something utterly hypnotic. Her story is astounding, shocking. I'm glad that she left a legacy of beauty despite it. She wrote a book entitled "Galina: A Russian Story" all about her war and her husband's with the Soviet Union. Wow. Just wow...

Gorchakova was a rare artist. She was a competent actress, showed real passion for her art, and always presented something new when she interpreted even the most often sung parts, her very "Russian" style adding extra color to works of Verdi and Donizetti. Her career was apparently sabotaged by the incredibly famous conductor, Valery Gergiev. It's a shame, for hers was a talent to be admired, and still would be if she took up singing again. She apparently quit the theatre scene whilst at the height of her powers. Double bummer...

-Edgar Allan Poe
mybookshelf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mybookshelf.html

Post by mybookshelf »

Luke Bryan :wink:
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »