What am I? Riddle-Game

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What am I? Riddle-Game

Post by DATo »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 19:23 The wind?
Not the wind ... it is something you can hold in your hand but cannot pick up.

HINT:

1) The rabbit clue is from a very well known work of literature of the 1800s.
2) The "divine entity" clue is a reference to someone in ancient mythology.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

DATo wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 09:28

HINT:

The rabbit is associated with the moon in native Mexican cultures, but I don't think that's it...
DATo

Post by DATo »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 19:20
DATo wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 09:28

HINT:

The rabbit is associated with the moon in native Mexican cultures, but I don't think that's it...
Nope .... THIS rabbit is a character in a light-hearted fantasy novel of the 19th century and his name is a clue to the riddle's answer. The other character of ancient lore is a god whose name is the answer to the riddle.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Time? I'm thinking about Alice in Wonderland's rabbit, who was always running late...
DATo

Post by DATo »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 08:19 Time? I'm thinking about Alice in Wonderland's rabbit, who was always running late...
You are correct with the book, but what was the rabbit's name? The name and what this name derives from is a big clue to the answer to the riddle.
― Steven Wright
Sadiya_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadiya-khan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sadiya_Khan »

Didn't he usually goes with the nickname, White rabbit? I think his name was something like Nivels or Nivens.

Sadiya_Khan wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 12:22 Didn't he usually goes with the nickname, White rabbit? I think his name was something like Nivels or Nivens.
I know him as White Rabbit, too...
So, perhaps we are looking for something white, @DATo ?
DATo

Post by DATo »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 18:47
Sadiya_Khan wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 12:22 Didn't he usually goes with the nickname, White rabbit? I think his name was something like Nivels or Nivens.
I know him as White Rabbit, too...
So, perhaps we are looking for something white, DATo ?
@Sadiya_Khan It's not the white rabbit you are thinking of.

@María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda Not a white rabbit necessarily. He was known mainly for something he wore on his head.
― Steven Wright
Sadiya_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadiya-khan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sadiya_Khan »

So, are we not talking about a rabbit? I'm confused now.

Just a wild guess, is the answer fortune?

I think the rabbit wore glasses, but I have no idea how to connect that...
@Sadiya_Khan
@DATo
DATo

Post by DATo »

Sadiya_Khan wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 04:00 So, are we not talking about a rabbit? I'm confused now.

Just a wild guess, is the answer fortune?
The answer is not fortune.
― Steven Wright
DATo

Post by DATo »

I think it is time to summarize the clues.

1) I can be dangerous.
This is something you can hold in your hand, but scientists and doctors don't recommend it. Scientists and doctors wouldn't give care if you held a rabbit in your hand, especially if he was wearing a white hat because that would suggest that he is a good guy and wouldn't hurt you. He would only fight to protect you from bad rabbits who wear black hats. This is a non-living thing which is bad to hold or to come into physical contact.

2) I can run very fast and in many directions.
The answer to the riddle is something that if dropped on the floor might run in many directions at the same time. Now, a rabbit can run very fast, even if he is encumbered by a white hat, but he can't run in many directions at the same time. The answer to the riddle CAN split up and run in many directions at the same time if dropped on the floor.

3) Though you would feel no pain if you try, you cannot catch me with your hands.
The answer to the riddle is something that would be almost impossible to pick up with your fingers or your hands even though you could easily hold it in your hand if it was put there by other means.

4) I am associated in literature with a divine entity and in more modern times with a rabbit.
The answer to the riddle is something that could be associated separately with TWO individuals from literature: one is a rabbit in a classic book written for children in the 1800s, the other is a mythological god of the ancient Roman persuasion. These two individuals are not related. Knowing the NAME of the ancient divinity (IS the answer), or knowing the NAME of the rabbit might suggest the answer.
― Steven Wright

Ok... I'm going to go with mercury. Everyone who has broken a thermometer knows you shouldn't play with it...tempting as it is. It's associated with mythology, and it's related to Alice's Mad Hatter. I don't know about the rabbit, though...
DATo

Post by DATo »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 11:42 Ok... I'm going to go with mercury. Everyone who has broken a thermometer knows you shouldn't play with it...tempting as it is. It's associated with mythology, and it's related to Alice's Mad Hatter. I don't know about the rabbit, though...
EXACTLY !!!!! :dance: :clap: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :greetings-waveyellow: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :greatweekend:

The rabbit was the character known as "The Mad Hatter" in Alice In Wonderland. The term "Mad Hatter" comes from the belief that the use of mercury in the hat making profession caused workers to later develop mental issues or "madness". The god was the Roman god Mercury, and you will be frustrated if you try to pick up the liquid metal mercury because you can't grip it though you can hold a puddle of it in the palm of your hand. If you've ever dropped mercury you would know that it can skitter very quickly in all directions. And you are correct to mention its inherent danger as a toxin.

YOU WIN and it is now YOUR TURN !
― Steven Wright

DATo wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 15:28
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 11:42 Ok... I'm going to go with mercury. Everyone who has broken a thermometer knows you shouldn't play with it...tempting as it is. It's associated with mythology, and it's related to Alice's Mad Hatter. I don't know about the rabbit, though...
EXACTLY !!!!! :dance: :clap: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :greetings-waveyellow: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :greatweekend:

The rabbit was the character known as "The Mad Hatter" in Alice In Wonderland. The term "Mad Hatter" comes from the belief that the use of mercury in the hat making profession caused workers to later develop mental issues or "madness". The god was the Roman god Mercury, and you will be frustrated if you try to pick up the liquid metal mercury because you can't grip it though you can hold a puddle of it in the palm of your hand. If you've ever dropped mercury you would know that it can skitter very quickly in all directions. And you are correct to mention its inherent danger as a toxin.

YOU WIN and it is now YOUR TURN !
The Mad Hatter and the rabbit are one and the same? Ooooh! That was a great riddle!
Yay!
:greatweekend:

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”