Do you ever "neglect" the real world while reading?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
BonnieW
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonniew.html

Do you ever "neglect" the real world while reading?

Post by BonnieW »

I have a busy house full of kids, dogs and various activities and projects. I'm usually very responsible about getting to the work I have to do, even when I really would rather read a good book. I say usually because, although I love to read, honestly many books are great to pick up but somewhat easy to put down when necessary. However, if I am reading one of those "gotcha" books, the ones that suck you in and influence your dreams (lol), I put so many things off just to rush to finish the next page! I've "wasted" a weekend (not wasted in my opinion - ha!) by having my nose in a great book.

It's been awhile for me, I can't remember the name of the book I last did that with. Does anyone else do that occasionally? What book made you forget the real world and then feel a little pang of loss once you were finished reading?
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

When you have a houseful of things to take care of it's your RIGHT to get lost in a book :lol: See the thread about locking yourself in the bathroom with a good read...
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I feel this way every time I get a new book in the Vampire Earth series, but i have a hard time picking up the next one because I know it brings me that much closer to the end.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I am constantly lost in my books and I have a five year old! He has definitely adjusted to me in my reading zone. I love my books and have found them to be the perfect escape from the real world!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

When I get caught up in a good book, I have definitely been know to neglect the rest of the real world!
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
ITemple
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itemple.html

Post by ITemple »

Yes! I have a very bad habit of taking my books to the dinner table with me and reading as I eat. I also like to shut my self in my room and read, sometimes all through the night even.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't "neglect" the real world while reading and find time for both.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Loumc80

Post by Loumc80 »

I have been known to burn toast and ruin meals because I can't put a good book down. I always seem to be that way with Jodi Piccoult books. People can be talking to me and I can not hear them if I'm engrossed. I love the escape! Although I do have a busy social and work life so don't feel I'm a saddo!
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

That's the joy of a good book, getting lost in it to the detriment of your 'real world' (or 'boring') activities, and remembering bits of it long after you've read the final chapter. I go with it! As a form of escapism, reading can beat other addictions, legal or otherwise. There's no nasty side effects, except in your case possibly a messy house :wink:.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html

Post by ALRyder »

Loumc80 wrote:I have been known to burn toast and ruin meals because I can't put a good book down. I always seem to be that way with Jodi Piccoult books. People can be talking to me and I can not hear them if I'm engrossed. I love the escape! Although I do have a busy social and work life so don't feel I'm a saddo!
Good to see I'm not the only one who reads while cooking. I've also turned on the shower, and had the water only be lukewarm by the time I get in.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Don't know about reading but I often neglect the real world when I'm browsing the net. Hours can pass when I'm browsing YouTube Google and Facebook and I have to force myself out to get some reality now and then!
You only live once.....so live!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

YES, BUT I DON'T CARE ( reading, IS the " real " world for me too ).............it's part of life, same as " neglecting " my reading when i'm washing dishes...same difference... :)

They're all activities in a day of one's life...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I have a few times. Depends on the book, mostly. Some books Im on Pluto or someplace and it takes a jolt to get me back to earth.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Cheryl Rendone
Favorite Author: Ellen Hopkins
Favorite Book: Identical
Currently Reading: Red Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-rendone.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3134

Post by Cheryl Rendone »

I don't have children yet, but I do clean and take care of my husband and dog. I know exactly what you mean, almost every book I read, I completely zone out and I just get lost in the pages. The Anita Blake series was like that for me. After reading one book in the series, I was hungry for more!!

-- 24 Jan 2014, 01:14 --

I don't have children yet, but I do clean and take care of my husband and dog. I know exactly what you mean, almost every book I read, I completely zone out and I just get lost in the pages. The Anita Blake series was like that for me. After reading one book in the series, I was hungry for more!!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Cheryl_Dowell wrote:I don't have children yet, but I do clean and take care of my husband and dog. I know exactly what you mean, almost every book I read, I completely zone out and I just get lost in the pages. The Anita Blake series was like that for me. After reading one book in the series, I was hungry for more!!

-- 24 Jan 2014, 01:14 --

Cheryl, enjoy every second of your " pre-kidlet " days! :wink:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”