Duplicated topic and other stuff

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Duplicated topic and other stuff

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

I understand not wanting to have repeat topics. I'm sorry to have done this myself. It's hard to start a conversation being a newbie and trying to learn the rules of the road. It would be completely impossible to come up with something "new" with this many people on a site.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Greeneyedphotogirl79 wrote:I understand not wanting to have repeat topics. I'm sorry to have done this myself. It's hard to start a conversation being a newbie and trying to learn the rules of the road. It would be completely impossible to come up with something "new" with this many people on a site.
You can post on existing topic if you don't have something "new" to add. There isn't arbitrary time limit on a topic. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

At first I was shy to post on old topics, but I do it all the time now. It's nice to bring up old topics instead of sticking with the same ones that keep appearing on the front pages. The old topics are sometimes new to us newbies! 8)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Too true. It is like a scavenger hunt sometimes trying to root out the old threads. :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

Just a quick question: as a new user I've been trying to use the search function, but is there any particular way to use it to its full potential because a few searches have come out with about 10,000 results which doesn't help me not make duplicate topics as I really don't have time to go through 600+ pages just to find out if anyone has asked the same question.

This probably only applies to topics for in the general discussion because they of course are more general.

Also the point about some topics being very old I find extremely justified because it seems in a lot of those topics, rather than an actual discussion being had its more like a bombardment of new users jst answering questions and maybe not reading any other reactions? Obviously being a new user myself I may be way off the mark? Just getting the hang of finding my way around on here to see where actual discussions are.

Anyway especially would like a clear answer on use of the search function because I want to avoid breaking any rules or regulations.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
gali

Post by gali »

Syntheticaudio wrote:Just a quick question: as a new user I've been trying to use the search function, but is there any particular way to use it to its full potential because a few searches have come out with about 10,000 results which doesn't help me not make duplicate topics as I really don't have time to go through 600+ pages just to find out if anyone has asked the same question.

This probably only applies to topics for in the general discussion because they of course are more general.

Also the point about some topics being very old I find extremely justified because it seems in a lot of those topics, rather than an actual discussion being had its more like a bombardment of new users jst answering questions and maybe not reading any other reactions? Obviously being a new user myself I may be way off the mark? Just getting the hang of finding my way around on here to see where actual discussions are.

Anyway especially would like a clear answer on use of the search function because I want to avoid breaking any rules or regulations.
The search button on the Home Page covers all the forums. The search will be much easier if you use this general search button instead of the specific search button inside the forums. When you are on the Home page, select the Search button on the top banner and put the most relevant word of the book title or topic. If you look for a specific subject, you can use the search button inside the forums.

About the topics being old, there isn't any arbitrary time limit on a topic. They are relevant at any time, so there is really no justification in opening similar topics. Whether members read, or don't read, any other answers has got nothing to do with the age of the topic.

I hope I answered your questions. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

Great thanks!
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La

Post by Chris Dutton »

Hmmmm. I'm not convinced by the mods thinking here.

With the greatest respect to a lovely and friendly site - there's a lot of hostility out there folks!

If you have a particular nuance you wish to explore, it may not get answers as a particular thread gets tired.

As part of another thread 'why do people Bugger off so quickly', it's encumbent on the mods to make sure that lively debate continues, and by being over-zealous on the damnation of (in someone's eyes, not necessarily a mod) it can drive that lively debate away.

Also, as times passs, it's interesting to revisit old questions in a new light. It's a few years past now: was Harry potter any good, or not. The clarity of passing time may be an interesting discussion.

Ok, I will agree, ' what's your favourite book' is a static topic

But please, try to remember, some of us newbies are asking questions from a different slant, and a p.s. on an old topic may not get the feedback they require, hence they Bugger off.

Not had a thread blocked - yet- so devils advocate mode.
Latest Review: "NovoPulp 2013-2014 Anthology" by Niamh Brown, Ted Ewen, H. David Blalock, Lacerant Plainer, Micha Fire, Michael David Matula, Rich La
gali

Post by gali »

Chris Dutton wrote:Hmmmm. I'm not convinced by the mods thinking here.

With the greatest respect to a lovely and friendly site - there's a lot of hostility out there folks!

If you have a particular nuance you wish to explore, it may not get answers as a particular thread gets tired.

As part of another thread 'why do people Bugger off so quickly', it's encumbent on the mods to make sure that lively debate continues, and by being over-zealous on the damnation of (in someone's eyes, not necessarily a mod) it can drive that lively debate away.

Also, as times passs, it's interesting to revisit old questions in a new light. It's a few years past now: was Harry potter any good, or not. The clarity of passing time may be an interesting discussion.

Ok, I will agree, ' what's your favourite book' is a static topic

But please, try to remember, some of us newbies are asking questions from a different slant, and a p.s. on an old topic may not get the feedback they require, hence they Bugger off.

Not had a thread blocked - yet- so devils advocate mode.

@"Chris Dutton" Convinced or not, those are the rules. Please check out this thread:

Topic Creation Guidelines
A retired Admin/Mod

Chris Dutton
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-dutton.html

Post by Chris Dutton »

@gali. I'm sure Darwin had a theory.

The republicans update their thinking on occasion, even if they can barely find their collective arses with both hands.

I understand there are rules, and I understand the need for them, but the lack of discussion is, frankly, pathetic.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

suzy1124 wrote:Keyword : " FINESSE "

I agree.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Wow, I am kind of glad I missed the drama.
gali

Post by gali »

For more info, please read here:

Topic Creation Guidelines
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”