Duplicated topic and other stuff

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Duplicated topic and other stuff

Post by gali »

Please avoid creating duplicate topics. Lately a lot of duplicated topics are being opened. Please use the Search button on the Home Page before creating a new topic.

Also a reminder, promoting a website/a blog/a book isn't allowed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

For more info, please read here:

Topic Creation Guidelines
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Although I agree with the principle of your post, i have seen a good few threads where newcomers who post up threads on a topic that they may not have known already existed basically shot down with an abrupt "topic already exists, locked". This kind of attitude will just alienate people who want to become regulars. Remind them of rules, sure, but lets not be rude.
You only live once.....so live!
gali

Post by gali »

StephenKingman wrote:Although I agree with the principle of your post, i have seen a good few threads where newcomers who post up threads on a topic that they may not have known already existed basically shot down with an abrupt "topic already exists, locked". This kind of attitude will just alienate people who want to become regulars. Remind them of rules, sure, but lets not be rude.
This is the reason for this post. I wanted to avoid those kind of situations. :wink:

Also, explanations were sent to them privately.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm with gali 100% on this ... I do not understand why new members will not take a few moments to become familiar with the site before they being posting, in fact I think it quite disrespectful to the site & existing members to not at the very least read the rules (it's not as if there are a lot of them!).
I mean, really, this is a forum for readers and book loves so how likely is it that someone hasn't already posted a topic on a current bestseller, popular read or a well known classic?

A quick glance through the Support & Feedback forum show how often the same question is asked and repeatedly answered even though Scott has already provided the answer in the FAQ section .. gali, in fairness, has way more patience with this that I have.

OK rant over ... I will now chill for Sunday afternoon :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
gali

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:I'm with gali 100% on this ... I do not understand why new members will not take a few moments to become familiar with the site before they being posting, in fact I think it quite disrespectful to the site & existing members to not at the very least read the rules (it's not as if there are a lot of them!).
I mean, really, this is a forum for readers and book loves so how likely is it that someone hasn't already posted a topic on a current bestseller, popular read or a well known classic?

A quick glance through the Support & Feedback forum show how often the same question is asked and repeatedly answered even though Scott has already provided the answer in the FAQ section .. gali, in fairness, has way more patience with this that I have.

Thank you Fran for your support. Enjoy your day :)
A retired Admin/Mod

StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:I'm with gali 100% on this ... I do not understand why new members will not take a few moments to become familiar with the site before they being posting, in fact I think it quite disrespectful to the site & existing members to not at the very least read the rules (it's not as if there are a lot of them!).

Yeah Chill out, there are worse things going on in the world! Its a shame that there isnt a rule on excessive and pointless posts or people who just butt into threads simply to insult or patronise, of which there is one very prominent member doing so on a daily basis. Its just as important to establish rules for existing as well as new members..
You only live once.....so live!
Fran

Post by Fran »

@Mike
Not at all sure what you are going on about! You are a mod if there is someone misbehaving deal with it or report it to Scott. As I'm sure you are quite aware the same rules apply to both new & existing members so I honestly have no idea what your problem is.
- My Home by Clive James
samuyama
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuyama.html
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by samuyama »

appreciate you working to make the site more enjoyable!
Latest Review: "Cardamom Days" by Derek Darke
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

Honestly I did not even know that search bar wasn't an add when I first joined this site.
I think there needs to be an easy link for new members to the rules, as well as stating that search bar isn't an ad for Bing or something.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Apogea wrote:Honestly I did not even know that search bar wasn't an add when I first joined this site.
I think there needs to be an easy link for new members to the rules, as well as stating that search bar isn't an ad for Bing or something.
As a matter of interest what did you think FAQ stood for? :D
- My Home by Clive James
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

To me FAQ is more about if you have a problem, not a rule book for something, so I never thought to check it
Edit: noticed this may have sounded rude, it isn't meant to be rude!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Keyword : " FINESSE "
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Adurna101
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Favorite Book: Hidden Empire
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by Adurna101 »

I just want to state, that this has happened to me. Two of my threads have been shot down, and I had done the search through the main page, and nothing was there that matched what I was posting. Only recommendation lists, someone selling a first edition, and someone asking a question on the book. A specific question I might add. Not an open conversation like I was trying to start. I've also found that the thread that Scott has made (Who's your favourite author?) has been marked as a duplicate topic. I personally feel frustrated, because I did the right thing, and was still 'punished', even though I was just trying to start an open conversation, and it didn't even exist on the site. I brought it up with both moderators that locked down my posts, and neither of them replied to me. I'm feeling very frustrated and annoyed and I don't know what to do regarding this issue. The moderators were 'gali' and 'fran' by the way.
Aim to Misbehave!

Check out my Reviews at; http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adurna101.html
Latest Review: "Extinction" by Daleen Viljoen
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

yes I know what you mean Adurna - I once started a topic similar to a running topic but not the same - and it was shut down because it was a duplicate.

I didnt think it was a duplicate, I thought it was a different question around the same issue.

Actually Im not fond of this site's method of having topics running forever - I see many topics started back in 2011 or so and running for many many pages - it sometimes seems pointless answering as OP and earlier posters have long left and seems little point in reading whole thread. Many threads seem to be more long lists rather than actual discussions.
gali

Post by gali »

Adurna101 wrote:I just want to state, that this has happened to me. Two of my threads have been shot down, and I had done the search through the main page, and nothing was there that matched what I was posting. Only recommendation lists, someone selling a first edition, and someone asking a question on the book. A specific question I might add. Not an open conversation like I was trying to start. I've also found that the thread that Scott has made (Who's your favourite author?) has been marked as a duplicate topic. I personally feel frustrated, because I did the right thing, and was still 'punished', even though I was just trying to start an open conversation, and it didn't even exist on the site. I brought it up with both moderators that locked down my posts, and neither of them replied to me. I'm feeling very frustrated and annoyed and I don't know what to do regarding this issue. The moderators were 'gali' and 'fran' by the way.
If you mean your thread about the "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel", there was already just a thread and I moved your post over there, so you didn't really do the right thing. :roll:

There is also an open thread about Who's your favorite author and you can post there.

-- August 8th, 2014, 7:17 am --
Aussie-reader wrote:yes I know what you mean Adurna - I once started a topic similar to a running topic but not the same - and it was shut down because it was a duplicate.

I didnt think it was a duplicate, I thought it was a different question around the same issue.

Actually Im not fond of this site's method of having topics running forever - I see many topics started back in 2011 or so and running for many many pages - it sometimes seems pointless answering as OP and earlier posters have long left and seems little point in reading whole thread. Many threads seem to be more long lists rather than actual discussions.
There is no need to open a similar topic if it is adequately covered on existing threads. Discussions are always welcome if they don't repeat existing threads.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”