Adding to bookshelves - translators

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Adding to bookshelves - translators

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I'm curious, when adding a book to the bookshelves, are we supposed to add the translator next to the author's name if we know who translated the book? I've also seen a book that lists a well-known illustrator. Should we add the illustrator? If yes, then should we put Trans. or Illus. before their name? Another, if one translation spells an author's name differently, for instance Tolstoy and Tolstoi, should they both be included? Or, for instance if you have a copy of a book by Richard Bachman, who later ended up being Stephen King, which name do we use? Some versions or translations might make a great difference, others might make no difference at all. Is there any method most would prefer?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 16:00 I'm curious, when adding a book to the bookshelves, are we supposed to add the translator next to the author's name if we know who translated the book? I've also seen a book that lists a well-known illustrator. Should we add the illustrator? If yes, then should we put Trans. or Illus. before their name? Another, if one translation spells an author's name differently, for instance Tolstoy and Tolstoi, should they both be included? Or, for instance if you have a copy of a book by Richard Bachman, who later ended up being Stephen King, which name do we use? Some versions or translations might make a great difference, others might make no difference at all. Is there any method most would prefer?
The translator shouldn't be added, and the illustrator shouldn't either. Though, there are no doubt exceptions to the rule.
For instance, books submitted for review might list those things, and we usually don't 'correct' the info provided by the author/publisher.

The main goal on Bookshelves is to have a single entry for each book, as it's really just a way to keep track of one's reading. (Again, sadly, this is sometimes not possible when it comes to review books.)

As for the spelling of author's names, there should always be one that is correct (or at least one that is 'more' correct than others). Whichever is the one most agreed upon should be the one used.

And books written under pen names should be attributed to the pen name. The pen name can then be linked to the actual author by 'reporting' the spelling of the author's name on their page on Bookshelves. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Gravy wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: I'm curious, when adding a book to the bookshelves, are we supposed to add the translator next to the author's name if we know who translated the book? I've also seen a book that lists a well-known illustrator. Should we add the illustrator? If yes, then should we put Trans. or Illus. before their name? Another, if one translation spells an author's name differently, for instance Tolstoy and Tolstoi, should they both be included? Or, for instance if you have a copy of a book by Richard Bachman, who later ended up being Stephen King, which name do we use? Some versions or translations might make a great difference, others might make no difference at all. Is there any method most would prefer?
The translator shouldn't be added, and the illustrator shouldn't either. Though, there are no doubt exceptions to the rule.
For instance, books submitted for review might list those things, and we usually don't 'correct' the info provided by the author/publisher.

The main goal on Bookshelves is to have a single entry for each book, as it's really just a way to keep track of one's reading. (Again, sadly, this is sometimes not possible when it comes to review books.)

As for the spelling of author's names, there should always be one that is correct (or at least one that is 'more' correct than others). Whichever is the one most agreed upon should be the one used.

And books written under pen names should be attributed to the pen name. The pen name can then be linked to the actual author by 'reporting' the spelling of the author's name on their page on Bookshelves. :tiphat:

All right! So, if I came across a book that has the translator or illustrator listed, should I report it? Assuming I know it's not a review book, of course?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 00:40
Gravy wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: I'm curious, when adding a book to the bookshelves, are we supposed to add the translator next to the author's name if we know who translated the book? I've also seen a book that lists a well-known illustrator. Should we add the illustrator? If yes, then should we put Trans. or Illus. before their name? Another, if one translation spells an author's name differently, for instance Tolstoy and Tolstoi, should they both be included? Or, for instance if you have a copy of a book by Richard Bachman, who later ended up being Stephen King, which name do we use? Some versions or translations might make a great difference, others might make no difference at all. Is there any method most would prefer?

All right! So, if I came across a book that has the translator or illustrator listed, should I report it? Assuming I know it's not a review book, of course?
You can if you want. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”