AI-generated forum replies - why?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
ANTant
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

AI-generated forum replies - why?

Post by ANTant »

Hi folks - newbie here with a quick question. Sorry if I'm stirring a pot I shouldn't stir ;)

I've spent some time this morning looking through the review posts in the forum, and have noticed that a fair number of replies to the posts/reviews are AI generated - either summaries of the book, or summaries of the review itself. I work in tech so maybe I notice it more than most people, but anyone who has spent time with ChatGPT can pretty easily recognize the output from that tool.

My question is basically... why? What benefit does that provide, to either the thread or to the commenter themselves? I'm assuming maybe the intention is to bump up the comment counts in their profile to show that they're 'engaging' with the community?

I don't think this is really hurting anything for the time being - it's not spammy, but it's also not really contributing to the conversation. Just wondering out loud why people bother, I guess :)
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hi, welcome and thanks for your question.

I'm a moderator and AI-generated replies are NOT allowed, but unfortunately they slip through the cracks for various reasons. I catch as many as I can (I also find them easy to spot) for the time being ... hope to get some new enforceable rules in play.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”