Where do you talk about books?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Where do you talk about books?

Post by Ashley Simon »

Online communities are such a great way to connect with other readers of similar interest! I've been using Goodreads & Wordpress for a while, but I just recently started using an app called Litsy, which is like a cross between Instagram and Goodreads. It got me thinking: where else do you talk about books and connect with other readers?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I only participate in online book forums such as this website. I avoid "real life" book clubs because one is required to be present when the club meets rather than when one prefers to be present. Also, book clubs which require the reading of selected books do not interest me because, once again, I am required to read what others have chosen rather than books of my own choosing.

I do not condemn such clubs for they offer an opportunity to meet in a (how does one phrase this?) "personal" setting and sometimes it is a good thing to take a random book, even one which is not of particular interest, and have the opportunity to explore it from the many different perspectives of the club members. I have done this here in private message meetings with other posters and found it both enlightening as well as entertaining.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

DATo wrote:I only participate in online book forums such as this website. I avoid "real life" book clubs because one is required to be present when the club meets rather than when one prefers to be present. Also, book clubs which require the reading of selected books do not interest me because, once again, I am required to read what others have chosen rather than books of my own choosing.

I do not condemn such clubs for they offer an opportunity to meet in a (how does one phrase this?) "personal" setting and sometimes it is a good thing to take a random book, even one which is not of particular interest, and have the opportunity to explore it from the many different perspectives of the club members. I have done this here in private message meetings with other posters and found it both enlightening as well as entertaining.
I definitely enjoy the flexibility of online book clubs. I think there's something to be said for meting with other readers in person and having face-to-face conversations. But, admittedly, this can be hard to fit into an otherwise busy schedule. Online clubs are a great substitute!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I use this site and Instagram. I'll have to check out Litsy! :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I use this site and Instagram. I'll have to check out Litsy! :)
It’s great - I absolutely love it!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Ashley Simon wrote:
Gingerbo0ks wrote:I use this site and Instagram. I'll have to check out Litsy! :)
It’s great - I absolutely love it!
I never did get on with goodreads, and it's nice to see an Instagram like space that is purely for books and readers.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Goodreads, mostly.
Pronouns: She/Her