Spam- important notice.

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Re: Spam- important notice.

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran wrote:
StephenKingman wrote:^ Cheers for recent reports people, it must be silly season here at the moment- we have had loads of "1st post- Hey im a new author check out my blog and website NOW" members this past week, thankfully its now easier than ever to deal with the problem. :D
Oh Mike .... there will be blood :twisted:
Nah not blood, just the click of the "delete" key, far more diplomatic..
You only live once.....so live!
Trcapro

Post by Trcapro »

StephenKingman wrote:Ok, im setting up thread just to be crystal clear and not to alienate any new members who may be wondering why their first post was deleted, here is a list of posts that 100% will be deleted no exception:

1. Website promoters

2. Blog promoters (dont mind them too much in your sig as long as you are a genuine member, if you are filling the forum with 50 nodding dog one-word answers just to promote a website or blog you will be deleted)

3. Numbers and contact details for a book or product, it looks like spam and probably is spam so forget it

4. Recommendations for amazon- if i want to browse amazon i will do so, dont need to be reminded of the website. Nothing wrong with this once you are a regular member but as a start post it again looks like spam, whether it is or not.

5. Mentions of Facebook and Twitter etc for your first posts

Anything outside this is generally ok but any of this spam will be deleted and thanks again to members who report it (the red ! button to the right of your screen). Play nice people you dont want to see me angry :wink:
It is a shame that spammers can ruin a good thing and that it has to come to this.
I am a poet and writer for hire from Pittsburgh, PA. "Shadows and Shade" by Jason Greiner "Wishing Wells" by Jason Greiner
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Guys and girls, just want to remind you that if you see a post or a link that is offensive or annoying or you consider as spam, please report the post and it will be dealt with by the nearest moderator. Too many times lately i have seen spam threads and links and troll members running amok in the forums, particularly the Off Topic, and yet nobody saw fit to report it so they could be dealt with. This is your forum as well people and taking a passive role when there is rubbish around doesnt make my job, or the other mods jobs, any easier. We can only deal with what is reported so if you do see something, anything, you dont like on the forum, take initiative and report it as soon as possible, dont just complain about it.

Regards,
Mike.
RobinCarvacci

Post by RobinCarvacci »

I feel like an idiot, I tried to PM you Stephen and when I sent it, it said 'denied, marked as spam'. Oh no! haha. It was just a quick question, about posting links and was unsure. You can post a link to your site on your profile, right? I will go back and make sure to read the rules again so I'm clear. No big deal. Just don't want to screw up. Which, I did when I sent a pm and said in red it was marked as spam.

Okay, thanks.

Robin
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

RobinCarvacci wrote:I feel like an idiot, I tried to PM you Stephen and when I sent it, it said 'denied, marked as spam'. Oh no! haha. It was just a quick question, about posting links and was unsure. You can post a link to your site on your profile, right? I will go back and make sure to read the rules again so I'm clear. No big deal. Just don't want to screw up. Which, I did when I sent a pm and said in red it was marked as spam.

Okay, thanks.

Robin
No problem, Robin! There is a minimum amount of posts required before members can post links, check out the new rules in the Feedback forums and if you have any more questions let me know. :D
jonnygreenwood

Post by jonnygreenwood »

StephenKingman wrote:^ Cheers for recent reports people, it must be silly season here at the moment- we have had loads of "1st post- Hey im a new author check out my blog and website NOW" members this past week, thankfully its now easier than ever to deal with the problem. :D
If a facebook page collects many free and nice ebooks, can i share the link??
aymanbinmoshi

Post by aymanbinmoshi »

I see. What's the problem with fb or tt?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I agree that the forum should be kept free of redirects to other websites for promotional purposes or commercial advertising but it could also be useful to have a thread specifically for those who wish to share their work. Perhaps a workable compromise would be to create a forum section which allows members to list such FB or website pages. This would eliminate a lot of work monitoring this site and would be a "kinder/gentler" treatment of members who mean no harm but just want to share their work with others. Such posts could simply be redirected to that topic rather than dumping the member who posted it. Of course the commercial advertising should remain a NO NO ... send them to hell ... *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:I agree that the forum should be kept free of redirects to other websites for promotional purposes or commercial advertising but it could also be useful to have a thread specifically for those who wish to share their work. Perhaps a workable compromise would be to create a forum section which allows members to list such FB or website pages. This would eliminate a lot of work monitoring this site and would be a "kinder/gentler" treatment of members who mean no harm but just want to share their work with others. Such posts could simply be redirected to that topic rather than dumping the member who posted it. Of course the commercial advertising should remain a NO NO ... send them to hell ... *LOL*
@DATo
I think Scott set up the Review Forum specifically for this purpose .... that's where an aspiring author should go & submit their work for review. Personally, I am extremly loath to click on re-directs to blogs or websites posted by someone who has just joined for that purpose ... risky business in this virus infested society.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Fran wrote:
DATo wrote:I agree that the forum should be kept free of redirects to other websites for promotional purposes or commercial advertising but it could also be useful to have a thread specifically for those who wish to share their work. Perhaps a workable compromise would be to create a forum section which allows members to list such FB or website pages. This would eliminate a lot of work monitoring this site and would be a "kinder/gentler" treatment of members who mean no harm but just want to share their work with others. Such posts could simply be redirected to that topic rather than dumping the member who posted it. Of course the commercial advertising should remain a NO NO ... send them to hell ... *LOL*
@DATo
I think Scott set up the Review Forum specifically for this purpose .... that's where an aspiring author should go & submit their work for review. Personally, I am extremly loath to click on re-directs to blogs or websites posted by someone who has just joined for that purpose ... risky business in this virus infested society.
Fran,

Thanks for the info. I was unaware that Scott had set up such a forum and I had not considered the possibility of malicious websites. I fear that sometimes I am too trusting of my fellow human beans for my own good. *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

There is also the website field in the profile, for members with a sufficient post count. I suppose I might be wise to add fields for Facebook pages and other social networking profiles like Twitter.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
episkopos

Post by episkopos »

No wonder the site is so clean. More grease to your elbow as you clear spammers.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Fran may be away a while so if anyone sees spam or rubbish threads or posts please continue to report them and Ill be here at least every 2nd day to clean up the place. Thanks people.

Mike.
A24

Post by A24 »

StephenKingman wrote:Fran may be away a while so if anyone sees spam or rubbish threads or posts please continue to report them and Ill be here at least every 2nd day to clean up the place. Thanks people.

Mike.
Did I miss something? Is Fran ok or just on vacation? I always look forward to seeing what she is currently reading and what she thinks of those she finished.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

Thank you for clearing that up!
I know I was a little confused with the heavy emphasis on websites and punctuation marks that may be viewed as spam. Now I know why! :)
Kat Pascale
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”