Spam- important notice.

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Spam- important notice.

Post by StephenKingman »

Ok, im setting up thread just to be crystal clear and not to alienate any new members who may be wondering why their first post was deleted, here is a list of posts that 100% will be deleted no exception:

1. Website promoters

2. Blog promoters (dont mind them too much in your sig as long as you are a genuine member, if you are filling the forum with 50 nodding dog one-word answers just to promote a website or blog you will be deleted)

3. Numbers and contact details for a book or product, it looks like spam and probably is spam so forget it

4. Recommendations for amazon- if i want to browse amazon i will do so, dont need to be reminded of the website. Nothing wrong with this once you are a regular member but as a start post it again looks like spam, whether it is or not.

5. Mentions of Facebook and Twitter etc for your first posts

Anything outside this is generally ok but any of this spam will be deleted and thanks again to members who report it (the red ! button to the right of your screen). Play nice people you dont want to see me angry :wink:
You only live once.....so live!
Stinkin' Fascist
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones

Post by Stinkin' Fascist »

I do I do! I want to see you angry!
( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ♥ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

You seem to have activated the Amazon spam bot by merely mentioning it.
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Thank the gods! Someone with intelligence and ire. A moderator who really moderates for the enjoyment of all.
Buttons

Post by Buttons »

Good to know, I do believe I did that once on my first day of posting--sorry!! :oops:
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Thanks for all the recent reports of spam here people, its nice to see people making an effort to rid the forum of rubbish and my spam-gun has never been busier. Smokin! 8)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:Thanks for all the recent reports of spam here people, its nice to see people making an effort to rid the forum of rubbish and my spam-gun has never been busier. Smokin! 8)
You're doing a super job keeping the forums looking spick & span :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Thanks for the recent report Dragonflys and Fran thanks for deleting some of the rubbish, he or she is now banned.
Dragonflytears

Post by Dragonflytears »

Thank you Mike for keeping this forum squeaky clean :wink:

I also run a bunch of facebook pages for our company so I understand what a nuisance spammers are
~ “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ~ Stephen King

Join us on facebook: bookoutletcom
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Thanks Patti and thanks also to the recent reports, rest assured that rubbish is gone; promoting SIX websites on his first post has to be a record! Keep it up people. :D
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Yes, thank you very much Mike for your work moderating the forum.

If you want, I would be happy if you added the following rule to your list:

If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book. If you are a new member and one of your first few posts is to tell us how great a book of which almost none of us have heard, it will be looked at very, very suspiciously and may be deleted because it will seem like it's your book and you're just dishonestly pretending it is not.

Also, I would like to point out to all the members, especially the new, that I have added an easily-updatable blacklist, meaning that it will backfire on new members if they try to inappropriately promote a blog, website or other URL, namely by trying to malform the URL so it is not automatically blocked by the filters or by telling us how to get to the website using Google. This is because I will add the URL to the blacklist (which takes me less than a minute), meaning nobody at all will every be able to post the URL ever again. So when in doubt, leave the links ads, and self-promo out. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

read and agree
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

I would like to issue out to all the constituents, particularly the new, that I have supplemented an easily-updatable blacklist, significance that it will backfire on new constituents if they trial to inappropriately encourage a blog
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

^ Cheers for recent reports people, it must be silly season here at the moment- we have had loads of "1st post- Hey im a new author check out my blog and website NOW" members this past week, thankfully its now easier than ever to deal with the problem. :D
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

StephenKingman wrote:^ Cheers for recent reports people, it must be silly season here at the moment- we have had loads of "1st post- Hey im a new author check out my blog and website NOW" members this past week, thankfully its now easier than ever to deal with the problem. :D
Oh Mike .... there will be blood :twisted:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”