Help me understand

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Help me understand

Post by Jack King »

Hello,

I’m trying my best to improve my grammar but need some help understanding. For the below errors what makes them wrong?

1. The book is a wonderful and fun entry in the series(, )(;) on the surface, it appears there will be little at stake but as the book progresses there is the matter of reconciling families and entire countries!
2. A pleasant and surprising addition to a children’s book. (Sentence fragment)
3. As well as this the book is exceptionally well-edited. (Sentence fragment)
4. The book is full of positives(,)(;) however, whilst the book is compelling and easy to read I find it difficult to decide who it is aimed at.
5. The story is a little short on character building(,)(;) however, I have chosen not to mark it down because of this.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Hi Jack -

I don't know what you do to help proof your work, but I use the following grammar checkers. Over time, repeatedly correcting my commas using these tools - I'm learning. Commas are a "b."

1) https://quillbot.com/grammar-check
2) https://www.scribens.com/
3) https://prowritingaid.com/grammar-checker
4) https://www.grammarcheck.net/editor/

Yes - I use them all and run all of my reviews through *all of them*. By the time I have done that, I have made several significant changes to my review. I still need to use my brain/logic because these online checkers often suggest crazy stuff that doesn't make sense.

Here are resources I have gotten from people on this site that are also helpful...

1) https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ (punctuation help)
2) https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp (capitalization rules)
3) Pinned in this forum - Scott's guide is also helpful viewtopic.php?f=72&t=130072

If you take your first sentence and put it in Quillbot (first link above) you'll see it rips the sentence apart - literally.

Hope that helps.

Emily
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Jack King wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 10:45 Hello,

I’m trying my best to improve my grammar but need some help understanding. For the below errors what makes them wrong?

1. The book is a wonderful and fun entry in the series(, )(;) on the surface, it appears there will be little at stake but as the book progresses there is the matter of reconciling families and entire countries!
2. A pleasant and surprising addition to a children’s book. (Sentence fragment)
3. As well as this the book is exceptionally well-edited. (Sentence fragment)
4. The book is full of positives(,)(;) however, whilst the book is compelling and easy to read I find it difficult to decide who it is aimed at.
5. The story is a little short on character building(,)(;) however, I have chosen not to mark it down because of this.
Hi Jack,

Emily has given some great sources. I use four grammar checkers, Natural Reader, read it aloud myself, and let it sit for a day somewhere in the process before I consider my review ready to submit. I did not discover Natural Reader until later, and it saved me many times when the word was spelled correctly (and grammar checkers missed it), but it was not the correct word for the context. And, as Emily said, do not take the suggestions from grammar checkers blindly.

Examples 1, 4, and 5 are comma splices. This occurs when you combine two independent clauses with only a comma. A stronger punctuation mark (such as a semicolon) or a conjunction is required. There is a simple definition with examples in this link: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-splice

Specifically, in examples 4 and 5, “however” is used as a conjunctive adverb and requires a semicolon instead of a comma preceding it. See the “SEMICOLON” section in this Purdue OWL link: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... unctuation

Example 2 is not a complete sentence because there is no verb. I’m assuming this was a continuing thought from the prior sentence. If so, consider connecting it to the previous sentence with an emdash or even a comma if the phrase is describing the last word in the prior sentence.

I’m not sure example 3 is a sentence fragment; there may have been a disconnect in parsing it. Perhaps a comma is needed after “this” to distinguish it as an introductory adverbial phrase. The rest of the sentence is complete.

I hope these additional explanations have been helpful.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Thank you both, I have just submitted my first review following these suggestions. Each one seemed to pick up different errors which is good!
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Oooo, I hope you get a great score!
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Emily Meadows wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 08:53 Oooo, I hope you get a great score!
I have now submitted 2 reviews with the advice above, across 4 scorecards I have had 100% twice, 90% and one 80%. Definitely a winning formula, thank you so much guys!
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Jack King wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 14:04
Emily Meadows wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 08:53 Oooo, I hope you get a great score!
I have now submitted 2 reviews with the advice above, across 4 scorecards I have had 100% twice, 90% and one 80%. Definitely a winning formula, thank you so much guys!
Woo hoo!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Emily Meadows wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 16:05
Jack King wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 14:04
Woo hoo!
That is great news. Keep on winning! :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”