What is the difference between exceptionally well-edited and professionally edited?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Rosandra Hosein
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

What is the difference between exceptionally well-edited and professionally edited?

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

This was one of the editor's comments on my recent review- "If the book is free of errors, you should write that it was exceptionally well-edited; if it contains errors, you should write that it was professionally edited."

I don't think I quite understand the difference, can someone please explain?

For context, this is what I wrote:
"The only thing I would improve about this book is to have explanations of certain phrases or slang used so that it can further enhance the reading experience. That aside, I found no fault with this book; it was impeccably written and professionally edited. The storytelling was compelling, the pacing was well executed, and the themes were thoughtfully explored. I wholeheartedly rate this book 5 out of 5 stars."

I went to the review guidelines to try and find an explanation and all it stated was:
"If you notice ten or more typos/errors in a review, or if it otherwise seems the book was not professionally edited, do not give it a perfect five out of five rating."

After reading that my understanding is this:
•Professionally edited = no errors, can give 5/5 rating
•Not professionally edited = errors present, cannot give 5/5 rating

Any explanation to help me understand would be greatly appreciated. While I accept the editor's feedback, I am also genuinely confused.
Rosandra Hosein
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:

I forgot to add. Should I ask for a recheck of the scorecard?
Rosandra Hosein
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:

I requested a recheck. This was the response. "If you found no errors in the book, it's better to write I found no errors/faults in this book or that the book is exceptionally well-edited. Professionally edited is for if the book contains 1 or more errors."
Now I know the reasoning I guess, but I still don't see that anywhere in the review guidelines. I don't know if its there and it just went over my head.
Is this a common understanding amongst reviewers and editors? Sigh. I guess I'll just go with the flow.
Rosandra Hosein
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Rosandra Hosein wrote: 27 May 2023, 14:32 I requested a recheck. This was the response. "If you found no errors in the book, it's better to write I found no errors/faults in this book or that the book is exceptionally well-edited. Professionally edited is for if the book contains 1 or more errors."
Now I know the reasoning I guess, but I still don't see that anywhere in the review guidelines. I don't know if its there and it just went over my head.
Is this a common understanding amongst reviewers and editors? Sigh. I guess I'll just go with the flow.
Hi Rosandra,

The guidelines have been recently changed and made less complex so you might not know this. Don't worry, there are many new reviewers with the same dilemma.
You are correct in stating what you did but if you would have added an adjective for the editing there wouldn't be any trouble.
Like I usually write the professional skillfully edited it, and I found no errors.

Professionally edited means the book was edited by a professional. So there can be a few minor errors he/she missed.

Exceptionally well edited is saying that the professional did a commendable job and did not miss even a single error.

Have a good day.
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 23:19
Rosandra Hosein wrote: 27 May 2023, 14:32 I requested a recheck. This was the response. "If you found no errors in the book, it's better to write I found no errors/faults in this book or that the book is exceptionally well-edited. Professionally edited is for if the book contains 1 or more errors."
Hi Rosandra,

The guidelines have been recently changed and made less complex so you might not know this. Don't worry, there are many new reviewers with the same dilemma.
You are correct in stating what you did but if you would have added an adjective for the editing there wouldn't be any trouble.
Like I usually write the professional skillfully edited it, and I found no errors.

Professionally edited means the book was edited by a professional. So there can be a few minor errors he/she missed.

Exceptionally well edited is saying that the professional did a commendable job and did not miss even a single error.

Have a good day.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is a much clearer explanation than I've gotten all week.
Rosandra Hosein
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's great. 👍
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Seetha E »

It was so sweet of you to post the response you received. This will surely assist new reviewers like myself. Best wishes. :)

Return to “International Grammar”