Grammar Quiz Fridays

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Grammar Quiz Fridays

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, everyone. I am a volunteer reviewer who wants to become a better reviewer. I propose that on Fridays we could submit a grammar quiz for our fellow reviewers to read and answer. We will provide the correct answer when time permits us to do so. I suggest that we include a short explanation with the grammar rule that applies. If this appeals to any of you, please feel free to join in the fun. I will submit my first grammar quiz on or before Friday, May 24th, 2024. Ciao for now fellow reviewers. :tiphat:
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Gerry Steen wrote: 19 May 2024, 00:17 Hi, everyone. I am a volunteer reviewer who wants to become a better reviewer. I propose that on Fridays we could submit a grammar quiz for our fellow reviewers to read and answer. We will provide the correct answer when time permits us to do so. I suggest that we include a short explanation with the grammar rule that applies. If this appeals to any of you, please feel free to join in the fun. I will submit my first grammar quiz on or before Friday, May 24th, 2024. Ciao for now fellow reviewers. :tiphat:
I think that’s a fantastic idea! It will help us all learn more. Will you be submitting the quiz on this forum? Thanks!
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Leona Rodrigues
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Mishaps of Marvelouz Witch by Karen Fronterhouse
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

I'm excited about the idea of learning and having fun together. Looking forward to your quiz! It sounds like a cool way to improve our reviewing skills.
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 21 May 2024, 13:24
Gerry Steen wrote: 19 May 2024, 00:17 Hi, everyone. I am a volunteer reviewer who wants to become a better reviewer. I propose that on Fridays we could submit a grammar quiz for our fellow reviewers to read and answer. We will provide the correct answer when time permits us to do so. I suggest that we include a short explanation with the grammar rule that applies. If this appeals to any of you, please feel free to join in the fun. I will submit my first grammar quiz on or before Friday, May 24th, 2024. Ciao for now fellow reviewers. :tiphat:
I think that’s a fantastic idea! It will help us all learn more. Will you be submitting the quiz on this forum? Thanks!
Yes, I will submit the quiz on this forum. Thank you for showing interest in this positive step. :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Leona Rodrigues wrote: 21 May 2024, 14:24 I'm excited about the idea of learning and having fun together. Looking forward to your quiz! It sounds like a cool way to improve our reviewing skills.
Hi, Leona. I am glad you are interested. I will post the quiz on this forum. Stay tuned. I will post the quiz on or before Friday. people can copy and paste and answer the quiz in their own notes. On, or before the following Friday, I will post the answers with an explanation. If people need more explanation, we can all help and discuss more if need be. :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024
A. Which sentence has the correct spelling?

1. My brother is a priest. OR My brother is a preist.

2. You will recieve the parcel tomorrow. OR You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

B. Write the plural form for:

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceeding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

D. Which sentence is written correctlly?

The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change. OR The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.

E. a, the, an- classify each of the preceeding words as an indefinte article or a definite article.

F. You are hiking through the woods. You suddenly hear a noise and look up. What would you say to your friends?

1.Look! I see the owl. OR Look! I see an owl.

The next day you are walking hiking through the woods again. You hear a noise. You look up and you see the same owl as yesterday. What would you say to your friends?

2.Look! I see the owl. OR. Look! I see an owl.

Well folks, this is my first official Friday Grammar Quiz. I know it is early, “but that is better than late,” my wife has always said. The answers are below. Some of you may find this to be too easy, but you would be surprised how easy it is to make a basic mistake when writng a review. Our editors have been sure to point some out on my reviews.

Do the quiz in your own notes. Don’t write your answers here. However, I would welcome your comments and requests. Have a great day! Until next Friday!

Hera are the answers.

The Correct Answers for Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024
A.
1.My brother is a priest.
2.You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

B.
1. Potatoes
2. Buffaloes and buffalos are both correct spellings.
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

1. compound noun - Brockville County Community and Technical College (this is a noun with many words)
2. concrete noun- table ( you can see, feel, or touch this)
3. abstract noun- liberty (an abstract noun can be a quality, concept, or a belief)

D. both sentences can be correct depending on the circumstances.
“ The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change.” is correct if you are absolutely certain of the author’s gender.

“ The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.” is correct in all circumstances regardless of whether or not you are sure of the gender of the author. “Their” is an acceptable replacement for “his” or “her” at all times.

E.
a-indefinite article the-definite article an-indefinite article

an indefinite article does not specify anyone or anything. For example: I am going to see a house. - any house

a definite article specifies anyone or anything. For example: I am going to buy the house I saw. - specifies the house that you saw.

F.
1. Look! I see an owl. - indefinite article- I’ve never seen this owl before
2. Look! I see the owl. - definite article. - That’s the same owl I saw yesterday.
Moddesser Elahi
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

The concept of this grammar quiz sounds cool to me!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Moddesser Elahi wrote: 22 May 2024, 16:09 The concept of this grammar quiz sounds cool to me!
Hi, Moddesser. I have already posted the quiz somewhat early. Take a look and try it out! Good luck. :techie-studyinggray:
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

I loved this. Please do add another one of these grammar quiz but this time no answers👌. Of all days you had to choose Friday where our attention span is not really up for it which is funny but im not complaining. This will be helpful and its been a while since I last saw the word "noun"in context. So suddenly this becomes an adventure for many.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Charmaine Mahlangu wrote: 22 May 2024, 20:47 I loved this. Please do add another one of these grammar quiz but this time no answers👌. Of all days you had to choose Friday where our attention span is not really up for it which is funny but im not complaining. This will be helpful and its been a while since I last saw the word "noun"in context. So suddenly this becomes an adventure for many.
Hi, Charmaine. I am happy that you liked the quiz. I will try to provide one every week. I must continue to provide the answers at the end. It is easier to do so. So, in the future, I will leave a bigger space to separate the answers from the questions. No peeking! LOL. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Gerry Steen wrote: 22 May 2024, 10:19 Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024

2. You will recieve the parcel tomorrow. OR You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceeding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change. OR The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.

E. a, the, an- classify each of the preceeding words as an indefinte article or a definite article.

F. You are hiking through the woods. You suddenly hear a noise and look up. What would you say to your friends?

The next day you are walking hiking through the woods again. You hear a noise. You look up and you see the same owl as yesterday. What would you say to your friends?

Well folks, this is my first official Friday Grammar Quiz. I know it is early, “but that is better than late,” my wife has always said. The answers are below. Some of you may find this to be too easy, but you would be surprised how easy it is to make a basic mistake when writng a review. Our editors have been sure to point some out on my reviews.

Do the quiz in your own notes. Don’t write your answers here. However, I would welcome your comments and requests. Have a great day! Until next Friday!

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

1. compound noun - Brockville County Community and Technical College (this is a noun with many words)
3. abstract noun- liberty (an abstract noun can be a quality, concept, or a belief)

“ The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change.” is correct if you are absolutely certain of the author’s gender.

“ The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.” is correct in all circumstances regardless of whether or not you are sure of the gender of the author. “Their” is an acceptable replacement for “his” or “her” at all times.

E.

an indefinite article does not specify anyone or anything. For example: I am going to see a house. - any house

a definite article specifies anyone or anything. For example: I am going to buy the house I saw. - specifies the house that you saw.

F.
2. Look! I see the owl. - definite article. - That’s the same owl I saw yesterday.
I hope you enjoy the grammar quiz! Let me know your feedback.
Blueberry Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blueberry-dragon.html
Latest Review: God is good by Margaret liu collins

Post by Blueberry Dragon »

@Gerry Steen, great initiative. Thank you for this. Always a good idea to keep one's grammar skills sharpened! Looking forward to the next one.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Blueberry Dragon wrote: 24 May 2024, 01:33 @Gerry Steen, great initiative. Thank you for this. Always a good idea to keep one's grammar skills sharpened! Looking forward to the next one.
Great! Good to have you on board. Have a good day. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

E.

F.
I hope more people do this grammar quiz today. Let me know your feedback. Thank you.
Leona Rodrigues
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Mishaps of Marvelouz Witch by Karen Fronterhouse
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

Gerry Steen wrote: 23 May 2024, 21:36

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

E. a, the, an- classify each preceeding word as an indefinte or a definite article.

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

E.

F.
I hope you enjoy the grammar quiz! Let me know your feedback.
The quiz was great, but please give us a few days to answer rather than posting them with the question. Also, I couldn't help but notice a few spelling errors, mainly in the word 'preceding' which is misspelled as 'preceeding'. I am just telling you this as we are here to learn together, and I hope you will take it positively and provide me with similar feedback whenever and wherever required. Looking forward to more such quizzes!!
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.

Return to “International Grammar”