Praise the Editor- No Negativity Please.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Praise the Editor- No Negativity Please.

Post by Gerry Steen »

There is no way to thank an editor for good, constructive criticism. I think they, like us, need some praise. We can cite a review or reviews we did where we felt the editor did a good job of pointing out an error with a good explanation based on a verifiable grammar rule. No one will know who the editor is, but the editor will know who they are and will appreciate the well-deserved praise. This praise might also encourage the editors, or some of them, to go the extra mile and provide a short informative explanation for the correction.. Teaching should be part of the job. We need their help.
Please, do not make any negative comments. There is enough room for that in other topics. A little later, i will dig up an edited review that I feel is praise-worthy because I learned something. Stay tuned!
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Alissa Nesson »

This was early on for me. I learned that a sentence such as, “He was so tired, he ended up going to sleep at 6” is actually two sentences that are so connected, a semicolon is appropriate. So it should be, “He was so tired; he ended up going to bed at 6.” This wasn’t the sentence I used, but it was something with the same structure. I appreciate that I learned something new. Now, this wasn’t properly explained with a grammar rule as I would have liked, but it ultimately led to a better understanding of the rule after further investigation.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 19 May 2024, 12:45 This was early on for me. I learned that a sentence such as, “He was so tired, he ended up going to sleep at 6” is actually two sentences that are so connected, a semicolon is appropriate. So it should be, “He was so tired; he ended up going to bed at 6.” This wasn’t the sentence I used, but it was something with the same structure. I appreciate that I learned something new. Now, this wasn’t properly explained with a grammar rule as I would have liked, but it ultimately led to a better understanding of the rule after further investigation.
Hi, Alissa. Thank you for your feedback. It's awesome when we learn something new. Isn't it? I love it when it finally clicks after reading some more of my grammar book. Sometimes word usage confuses me more. I never know where to find the grammar rule in the grammar book. For example: Do I write reflect on or reflect upon. Google is not always reliable for something like this. Once again, thank you for helping me get this ball rolling. :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Here are 2 praiseworthy comments given by the editor in my review of "To Catch a Falling Star": 1. It is through these well-defined characters,[inappropriate comma as the succeeding part contains a dependent clause] that the reader will come to understand the multi-faceted process of rehabilitating a drug-addicted mother while ensuring that her children receive adequate care in her absence.

2.Will Aleisha's love for her children and her wish to be reunited with them,[inappropriate comma as the succeeding part contains a dependent clause] be enough to overcome the prejudices people have about her, her lack of work skills, and the temptation to escape from pressures by getting high on heroin?

The editor explained why the commas were inappropriate. This helped me avoid the same mistake in succeeding reviews. I appreciated the informative comments. As a result, I knew where to look in my grammar book for more information. Kudos to this reviewer. Thank you.

There was a 3rd error cited by this editor, but it was self-explanatory.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Gerry Steen wrote: 19 May 2024, 17:04 Here are 2 praiseworthy comments given by the editor in my review of "To Catch a Falling Star": 1. It is through these well-defined characters,[inappropriate comma as the succeeding part contains a dependent clause] that the reader will come to understand the multi-faceted process of rehabilitating a drug-addicted mother while ensuring that her children receive adequate care in her absence.

2.Will Aleisha's love for her children and her wish to be reunited with them,[inappropriate comma as the succeeding part contains a dependent clause] be enough to overcome the prejudices people have about her, her lack of work skills, and the temptation to escape from pressures by getting high on heroin?

The editor explained why the commas were inappropriate. This helped me avoid the same mistake in succeeding reviews. I appreciated the informative comments. As a result, I knew where to look in my grammar book for more information. Kudos to this reviewer. Thank you.

There was a 3rd error cited by this editor, but it was self-explanatory.
Correction: The title of the book was "Catch a Falling Star."
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Gerry Steen wrote: 19 May 2024, 16:11
Alissa Nesson wrote: 19 May 2024, 12:45 This was early on for me. I learned that a sentence such as, “He was so tired, he ended up going to sleep at 6” is actually two sentences that are so connected, a semicolon is appropriate. So it should be, “He was so tired; he ended up going to bed at 6.” This wasn’t the sentence I used, but it was something with the same structure. I appreciate that I learned something new. Now, this wasn’t properly explained with a grammar rule as I would have liked, but it ultimately led to a better understanding of the rule after further investigation.
Hi, Alissa. Thank you for your feedback. It's awesome when we learn something new. Isn't it? I love it when it finally clicks after reading some more of my grammar book. Sometimes word usage confuses me more. I never know where to find the grammar rule in the grammar book. For example: Do I write reflect on or reflect upon. Google is not always reliable for something like this. Once again, thank you for helping me get this ball rolling. :tiphat:
You can write “reflect on” and “reflect upon” interchangeably. I suppose “reflect upon” sounds a bit more formal, but they mean the same thing. Happy to help get the ball rolling! It should be an interesting thread. I can’t wait to see what everyone says. Thanks!
- Once On This Island
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 19 May 2024, 21:53
Gerry Steen wrote: 19 May 2024, 16:11
You can write “reflect on” and “reflect upon” interchangeably. I suppose “reflect upon” sounds a bit more formal, but they mean the same thing. Happy to help get the ball rolling! It should be an interesting thread. I can’t wait to see what everyone says. Thanks!
Thank you, Alissa. I am looking forward to learning more. :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

I received helpful and postive comments regarding corrections made in my review of "Of Zots and Zoodles". Short explanations were given for why my errors were errors. These short explanations led to a better understanding of what to be vigilant about in my future reviews. I am thankful to the editor who took the time to provide the clear and concise explanations. This little bit of teaching was appreciated. I copied and pasted the corrections along with the explanations for all to see:
Spelling/Grammar Errors
(10 point deduction per error)
Editor Selection: 2 error(s)

Editor Comments:
They included:[inappropriate colon as 'included' already introduces a list] Theodil[missing comma to separate the extra details] who was the creator of the universe, a committee of panic-stricken complainers and critics, a child who answered the committee with philosophical utterings, and an internuncio who announced the different stages of creation.

20 out of 40
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 12:50 I received helpful and postive comments regarding corrections made in my review of "Of Zots and Zoodles". Short explanations were given for why my errors were errors. These short explanations led to a better understanding of what to be vigilant about in my future reviews. I am thankful to the editor who took the time to provide the clear and concise explanations. This little bit of teaching was appreciated. I copied and pasted the corrections along with the explanations for all to see:
Spelling/Grammar Errors

Editor Comments:
They included:[inappropriate colon as 'included' already introduces a list] Theodil[missing comma to separate the extra details] who was the creator of the universe, a committee of panic-stricken complainers and critics, a child who answered the committee with philosophical utterings, and an internuncio who announced the different stages of creation.

20 out of 40
Sorry, Gerry, I know this is positive only, but I cannot stay silent here. I disagree with the editor; the colon is used correctly in your sentence. The colon is commonly used to introduce a list or an explanation, which is exactly what you're doing here. Frankly, I also find the explanation bizarre. 'To include' is one verb you would probably use with a colon. The sentence is fine without a colon too, of course; it might even be better without it. It's a question of style, just a matter of preference. In my opinion, the editor shouldn't have docked points on your scorecard for this.

I understand it's all about the positive, and I've found many editors to be incredibly helpful, especially when it comes to explaining the guidelines.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative, Gerry! Best wishes!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 24 May 2024, 18:09
Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 12:50 I received helpful and postive comments regarding corrections made in my review of "Of Zots and Zoodles". Short explanations were given for why my errors were errors. These short explanations led to a better understanding of what to be vigilant about in my future reviews. I am thankful to the editor who took the time to provide the clear and concise explanations. This little bit of teaching was appreciated. I copied and pasted the corrections along with the explanations for all to see:
Spelling/Grammar Errors

Editor Comments:

20 out of 40
Sorry, Gerry, I know this is positive only, but I cannot stay silent here. I disagree with the editor; the colon is used correctly in your sentence. The colon is commonly used to introduce a list or an explanation, which is exactly what you're doing here. Frankly, I also find the explanation bizarre. 'To include' is one verb you would probably use with a colon. The sentence is fine without a colon too, of course; it might even be better without it. It's a question of style, just a matter of preference. In my opinion, the editor shouldn't have docked points on your scorecard for this.

I understand it's all about the positive, and I've found many editors to be incredibly helpful, especially when it comes to explaining the guidelines.

Hi, Claudia. I thank you for your feedback. I have a grammar book that I refer to before I contest an editor's corrections. It is called "Actually, The Comma Goes Here: A Practical Guide to Punctuation" by Lucy Cripps. I got it for free from Kindle Unlimited (a few months ago). According to this guide a colon is not used after a preposition, verb, and yes, it's unbelievable, after the word including. According to this book, the editor was correct. I have another grammar book called "The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need" by Susan Thurman. This book makes no mention of the word including. So, you could also be correct. How will we ever know for sure? I wish I could find a grammar book with all of the style differences that could be controversial. Is there such a book? Once again, thank you, Claudia.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 19:03
Spelling/Grammar Errors

Editor Comments:

20 out of 40

Hi, Claudia. I thank you for your feedback. I have a grammar book that I refer to before I contest an editor's corrections. It is called "Actually, The Comma Goes Here: A Practical Guide to Punctuation" by Lucy Cripps. I got it for free from Kindle Unlimited (a few months ago). According to this guide a colon is not used after a preposition, verb, and yes, it's unbelievable, after the word including. According to this book, the editor was correct. I have another grammar book called "The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need" by Susan Thurman. This book makes no mention of the word including. So, you could also be correct. How will we ever know for sure? I wish I could find a grammar book with all of the style differences that could be controversial. Is there such a book? Once again, thank you, Claudia.
Hey Gerry, thanks for the book recommendation! I think I’ll check it out
- Once On This Island
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 26 May 2024, 15:40

Hey Gerry, thanks for the book recommendation! I think I’ll check it out
You are welcome, Alissa. Have a good day. :)
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Spelling/Grammar Errors

Editor Comments:

20 out of 40

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. I have never heard of such a thing before! As you said, it is mentioned as a grammatical rule. Still, it doesn't make much sense to me. I get the idea that the colon might be unnecessary, but I don't see it as a grammatical mistake, just a question of style.
I understand if there is a proper typo in the review, but I don't think 20 points should be taken off for that sentence. If I had encountered it in a book, I wouldn't have marked it as even an uncounted error.

I have used the rewrite app to correct your sentence, and here is the version it provided:
“They included: Theodil, who was the creator of the universe; a committee of panic-stricken complainers and critics; a child who answered the committee with philosophical utterings; and an internuncio who announced the different stages of creation.”

Thank you again!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 26 May 2024, 17:24

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. I have never heard of such a thing before! As you said, it is mentioned as a grammatical rule. Still, it doesn't make much sense to me. I get the idea that the colon might be unnecessary, but I don't see it as a grammatical mistake, just a question of style.
I understand if there is a proper typo in the review, but I don't think 20 points should be taken off for that sentence. If I had encountered it in a book, I wouldn't have marked it as even an uncounted error.

I have used the rewrite app to correct your sentence, and here is the version it provided:
“They included: Theodil, who was the creator of the universe; a committee of panic-stricken complainers and critics; a child who answered the committee with philosophical utterings; and an internuncio who announced the different stages of creation.”

Thank you again!
Thank you, Claudia.

Return to “International Grammar”