Grammar Quiz Fridays

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Re: Grammar Quiz Fridays

Post by Gerry Steen »

Leona Rodrigues wrote: 24 May 2024, 16:07
Gerry Steen wrote: 23 May 2024, 21:36
Gerry Steen wrote: 22 May 2024, 10:19 Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024
A. Which sentence has the correct spelling?

1. My brother is a priest. OR My brother is a preist.

2. You will recieve the parcel tomorrow. OR You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

B. Write the plural form for:

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceeding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

D. Which sentence is written correctlly?

The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change. OR The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.

E. a, the, an- classify each preceeding word as an indefinte or a definite article.

F. You are hiking through the woods. You suddenly hear a noise and look up. What would you say to your friends?

1.Look! I see the owl. OR Look! I see an owl.

The next day you are walking hiking through the woods again. You hear a noise. You look up and you see the same owl as yesterday. What would you say to your friends?

2.Look! I see the owl. OR. Look! I see an owl.

Well folks, this is my first official Friday Grammar Quiz. I know it is early, “but that is better than late,” my wife has always said. The answers are below. Some of you may find this to be too easy, but you would be surprised how easy it is to make a basic mistake when writng a review. Our editors have been sure to point some out on my reviews.

Do the quiz in your own notes. Don’t write your answers here. However, I would welcome your comments and requests. Have a great day! Until next Friday!

Hera are the answers.

The Correct Answers for Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024
A.
1.My brother is a priest.
2.You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

B.
1. Potatoes
2. Buffaloes and buffalos are both correct spellings.
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

1. compound noun - Brockville County Community and Technical College (this is a noun with many words)
2. concrete noun- table ( you can see, feel, or touch this)
3. abstract noun- liberty (an abstract noun can be a quality, concept, or a belief)

D. both sentences can be correct depending on the circumstances.
“ The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change.” is correct if you are absolutely certain of the author’s gender.

“ The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.” is correct in all circumstances regardless of whether or not you are sure of the gender of the author. “Their” is an acceptable replacement for “his” or “her” at all times.

E.
a-indefinite article the-definite article an-indefinite article

an indefinite article does not specify anyone or anything. For example: I am going to see a house. - any house

a definite article specifies anyone or anything. For example: I am going to buy the house I saw. - specifies the house that you saw.

F.
1. Look! I see an owl. - indefinite article- I’ve never seen this owl before
2. Look! I see the owl. - definite article. - That’s the same owl I saw yesterday.
I hope you enjoy the grammar quiz! Let me know your feedback.
The quiz was great, but please give us a few days to answer rather than posting them with the question. Also, I couldn't help but notice a few spelling errors, mainly in the word 'preceding' which is misspelled as 'preceeding'. I am just telling you this as we are here to learn together, and I hope you will take it positively and provide me with similar feedback whenever and wherever required. Looking forward to more such quizzes!!
Hi, Leona. I appreciate your feedback. I feared that I would make a spelling mistake somewhere. I will correct the error that you cited. I am not beyond reproach. Yes, for the next quiz, I will provide the answers later as you requested. Thank you for being part of this learning process. What were the other errors?
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Friday Grammar Quiz May 24,2024

2. You will recieve the parcel tomorrow. OR You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change. OR The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.

E. a, the, an- classify each of the preceeding words as an indefinte article or a definite article.

F. You are hiking through the woods. You suddenly hear a noise and look up. What would you say to your friends?

The next day you are walking hiking through the woods again. You hear a noise. You look up and you see the same owl as yesterday. What would you say to your friends?

Well folks, this is my first official Friday Grammar Quiz. I know it is early, “but that is better than late,” my wife has always said. The answers are below. Some of you may find this to be too easy, but you would be surprised how easy it is to make a basic mistake when writng a review. Our editors have been sure to point some out on my reviews.

Do the quiz in your own notes. Don’t write your answers here. However, I would welcome your comments and requests. Have a great day! Until next Friday!

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

1. compound noun - Brockville County Community and Technical College (this is a noun with many words)
3. abstract noun- liberty (an abstract noun can be a quality, concept, or a belief)

“ The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change.” is correct if you are absolutely certain of the author’s gender.

“ The author wanted to express their opinion about climate change.” is correct in all circumstances regardless of whether or not you are sure of the gender of the author. “Their” is an acceptable replacement for “his” or “her” at all times.

E.

an indefinite article does not specify anyone or anything. For example: I am going to see a house. - any house

a definite article specifies anyone or anything. For example: I am going to buy the house I saw. - specifies the house that you saw.

F.
2. Look! I see the owl. - definite article. - That’s the same owl I saw yesterday.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

OK, Gerry, here I go!

My brother is a priest.

2. You will receive the parcel tomorrow.

1. Potato - potatoes
2. Buffalo - Buffaloes
3. Headquarters - Headquarters
4. Cod - Cod
5. Deer - Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun? table
2. a concrete noun? Brockville County Community and Technical College
3. an abstract noun? liberty

D. Which sentence is written correctly?
The author wanted to express his opinion about climate change. (Gerry - I'd be inclined to go with "his or her opinion" here)

E. a, the, an- classify each preceding word as an indefinite or a definite article.
The indefinite articles are a and an. I am guessing that the is a definite article.

Look! I see an owl.

Look! I see the owl.

This was fun! Thanks Gerry!
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C. table, liberty, Brockville County Community and Technical College- which of the preceeding words would be classified as:

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

E. a, the, an- classify each of the preceeding words as an indefinte article or a definite article.

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

E.

F.
This is great, Gerry! I think you shouldn't have given us the answers. I couldn't help it; I needed to check!
Thank you very much :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 24 May 2024, 18:16

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

E.

F.
This is great, Gerry! I think you shouldn't have given us the answers. I couldn't help it; I needed to check!
Thank you very much :tiphat:
Hi, Claudia. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, you are the second person to tell me that. Next week, I will delay posting the answers. Thank you for your encouragement.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

1. Potato
2. Buffalo
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

1. a compound noun?
2. a concrete noun?
3. an abstract noun?

Hera are the answers.

A.

B.
1. Potatoes
3. Headquarters
4. Cod
5. Deer

C.

E.

F.
Leona Rodrigues
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 16:23
Gerry Steen wrote: 23 May 2024, 21:36

I hope you enjoy the grammar quiz! Let me know your feedback.
The quiz was great, but please give us a few days to answer rather than posting them with the question. Also, I couldn't help but notice a few spelling errors, mainly in the word 'preceding' which is misspelled as 'preceeding'. I am just telling you this as we are here to learn together, and I hope you will take it positively and provide me with similar feedback whenever and wherever required. Looking forward to more such quizzes!!
Hi, Leona. I appreciate your feedback. I feared that I would make a spelling mistake somewhere. I will correct the error that you cited. I am not beyond reproach. Yes, for the next quiz, I will provide the answers later as you requested. Thank you for being part of this learning process. What were the other errors?
The other mistakes I noticed, looked completely unintentional, as they were done only once. But if you want to know them specifically, other spelling errors were 'correctly' misspelt as 'correctlly' and 'writing' as 'writng'. 
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Leona Rodrigues wrote: 25 May 2024, 15:36
Gerry Steen wrote: 24 May 2024, 16:23

The other mistakes I noticed, looked completely unintentional, as they were done only once. But if you want to know them specifically, other spelling errors were 'correctly' misspelt as 'correctlly' and 'writing' as 'writng'. 
Hi, Leona. Very shoddy work on my part. Thank you for pointing them out. I rushed through the creation of the test and did not use a spell check. I didn't want to use my limit of grammarly words. I save them for my reviews. The next time I will reread my text slowly to make sure I didn't make errors. Have a good evening! You'd make a good editor!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Friday Grammar Quiz May 31, 2024

A. Each of these sentences has a misused word. Take out the misused word and rewrite the sentence properly.

1. While he’s getting good marks on his book reviews, he’d like to do better.

2. Her storytelling style was very unique.

3. The principle reason for doing this test is to improve our writing skills.

4. Gerry and myself were invited to attend a grammar session.

5. He was laying on the floor when the ambulance arrived.

6. Asbestos is an inflammable material.

7. He ran further than his teammates did.

Have fun with this quiz. The correct answers will be posted in a few days. Stay tuned!
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

Please do hook us up on Friday again.👌💃💃💃😁 .
Be yourself and nothing less
Leona Rodrigues
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leona-rodrigues.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leona Rodrigues »

Friday Grammar Quiz, May 31, 2024

Answers:

1. While he’s getting good scores on his book reviews, he’d like to do better.

2. Her storytelling style was unique.

3. The principal reason for doing this test is to improve our writing skills.

4. Gerry and I were invited to attend a grammar session.

5. He was lying on the floor when the ambulance arrived.

6. Asbestos is a flammable material.

7. He ran further than his teammates did. (It is already grammatically right)
You may not be the center of the entire world, but you are the center of your own world.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Thanks, Gerry, that was fun.
I agree with all these except I think the first one might be arguable.

What is the difference between marks and scores?
What is the difference between marks and scores? The difference between marks and scores is that marks are usually assigned for a specific exam or assessment, whereas scores are calculated from multiple assessments taken together over a longer period of time.

https://www.google.com/search?
q=scores+vs+marks&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS935US935&oq=scores+vs+marks&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yCAgCEAAYFhgeMggIAxAAGBYYHjIICAQQABgWGB4yCggFEAAYDxgWGB4yCAgGEAAYFhgeMggIBxAAGBYYHjIICAgQABgWGB4yCAgJEAAYFhge0gEINjk4NGowajeoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Diana Lowery wrote: 01 Jun 2024, 08:25 Thanks, Gerry, that was fun.

What is the difference between marks and scores? The difference between marks and scores is that marks are usually assigned for a specific exam or assessment, whereas scores are calculated from multiple assessments taken together over a longer period of time.

q=scores+vs+marks&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS935US935&oq=scores+vs+marks&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIICAEQABgWGB4yCAgCEAAYFhgeMggIAxAAGBYYHjIICAQQABgWGB4yCggFEAAYDxgWGB4yCAgGEAAYFhgeMggIBxAAGBYYHjIICAgQABgWGB4yCAgJEAAYFhge0gEINjk4NGowajeoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Hi, Diana. Thank you for participating. I am happy you had fun. I will try to do a quiz each week. :tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Leona Rodrigues wrote: 01 Jun 2024, 05:41 Friday Grammar Quiz, May 31, 2024

Answers:

1. While he’s getting good scores on his book reviews, he’d like to do better.

2. Her storytelling style was unique.

3. The principal reason for doing this test is to improve our writing skills.

4. Gerry and I were invited to attend a grammar session.

5. He was lying on the floor when the ambulance arrived.

6. Asbestos is a flammable material.

7. He ran further than his teammates did. (It is already grammatically right)
Answers to Friday Grammar Quiz May 31, 2024

1. Although he’s getting good marks on his book reviews, he’d like to do better. ( “Although” is a better word. Use “While” only when you mean at the same time that.)

2. Her storytelling style was unique. ( The word very was misused. Unique means only one and unequaled. Nothing can be more unique. To say very unique is incorrect.)

3. The principal reason for doing this test is to improve our writing skills. ( Principle means a law or general truth. Principal means chief, main, or primary.)

4. Gerry and I were invited to attend a grammar session. ( Myself is an intensifier of I. Myself cannot be used as a substitute for I.)

5. He was lying on the floor when the ambulance arrived. ( Laying means to be putting something down. Lying means to be assuming a horizontal position.)

6. Asbestos is a non-flammable material. ( Inflammable is the same as flammable- easy to set on fire. Asbestos prevents fire. It is non-flammable.)

7. He ran farther than his teammates did. ( Farther refers to distance. Further relates to extent. For example: Tomorrow, the teacher will explain the concept further.)
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Gerry Steen wrote: 02 Jun 2024, 15:23
Diana Lowery wrote: 01 Jun 2024, 08:25 Thanks, Gerry, that was fun.

Hi, Diana. Thank you for participating. I am happy you had fun. I will try to do a quiz each week. :tiphat:
Answers to Friday Grammar Quiz May 31, 2024

1. Although he’s getting good marks on his book reviews, he’d like to do better. ( “Although” is a better word. Use “While” only when you mean at the same time that.)

2. Her storytelling style was unique. ( The word very was misused. Unique means only one and unequaled. Nothing can be more unique. To say very unique is incorrect.)

3. The principal reason for doing this test is to improve our writing skills. ( Principle means a law or general truth. Principal means chief, main, or primary.)

4. Gerry and I were invited to attend a grammar session. ( Myself is an intensifier of I. Myself cannot be used as a substitute for I.)

5. He was lying on the floor when the ambulance arrived. ( Laying means to be putting something down. Lying means to be assuming a horizontal position.)

6. Asbestos is a non-flammable material. ( Inflammable is the same as flammable- easy to set on fire. Asbestos prevents fire. It is non-flammable.)

7. He ran farther than his teammates did. ( Farther refers to distance. Further relates to extent. For example: Tomorrow, the teacher will explain the concept further.)

Return to “International Grammar”