well edited vs well-edited

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Re: well edited vs well-edited

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

About those hyphens!

Hyphenated words with "well" are not errors even if they aren't modifying a noun because some online dictionaries list them as hyphenated words. Therefore, don't count these as errors. It's only an error if there is a noun being modified and the reviewer doesn't hyphenate it. Some stylebooks advise us to hyphenate well in a compound modifier both when it precedes a noun and when the compound follows the verb.

Example:
Correct: The performance was well rehearsed.
Correct: The performance was well-rehearsed.
Correct: The well-rehearsed orchestra sounded nice.
Incorrect: The well rehearsed orchestra sounded nice.

This is only for words with "well." For others in question, if we can find anywhere on the internet (reputable) that shows the words as hyphenated, we don't consider that an error.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

You gave us the issue to learn from. I also grasp a good lesson from the comments about conpound modifiers
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I've learned quite a lot now. Thanks for all the examples and help. This definitely will make my life easier in the future.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Maxreview wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 09:25
MirageP wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 05:47
A Y reviews wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 14:24 I think you should use grammar checkers to edit your work. These problems will be easily cured
I used scribens online grammar checker and it did not find anything wrong in my sentence, "I give this book 4 out of 4 stars as it has been well-written and exceptionally well edited."
I would've been marked down had I not found this extremely well-explained thread!
"Well-written" is without doubt incorrect because it does not precede any noun being modified. Exceptionally well edited is correct.

A rule of thumb is that compound modifiers should be hyphenated if they precede the noun being modified, for example:
1. A bullet-riddled car
2. An out-of-hand situation.
However, if the first word in the modifying phrase is an -ly adjective, a hyphen should not be used.
Incorrect: A brightly-lit room.
Correct: A brightly lit room.

Also, hyphens must be used where they are necessary for the clarity of the whole sentence.
A case in point is where you mean "sign a document again". You will say "The manager wants to re-sign from yesterday's work" and not "The manager wants to resign from yesterday's work" since the second has a different meaning.

I hope this will help, but I will update more rules soon.
Wow! This has been very helpful. If I had encountered this thread sooner, I'd have avoided the various dents on my score cards. Thank you very much.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

You are very cooperative with each other.I'm new here and wanted to learn something new from you as an international community.

Return to “International Grammar”