Is this a grammar error?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Is this a grammar error?

Post by kipper_ »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 00:16
So why is it that authors are allowed creative liberty on a book but we as authors of the review are not allowed some creative liberties as well? Or at least not discounted the same points for a comma “error” as something more overt like a misspelling?
The rules and expectations are different for reviewers on OBC than the ones for authors. Their job is to create a literary work, while ours is to provide a review, based on the listed guidelines, in order to be compensated. The guidelines just so happen to have strict editing requirements. It’s an entirely different ballpark. If you think that you’ve been unfairly marked for a creative element that isn’t a true error, I highly recommend requesting a scorecard recheck (and an admin one, if it is subsequently disregarded). They’ve been quite generous and open to reconsideration when I’ve done so. At the end of the day though, our responsibilities are just different from the author’s.

Return to “International Grammar”