What is Profanity?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Re: What is Profanity?

Post by Jess Pumkin »

Thank you for this forum discussion - I also did not understand what "non-borderline profanity" meant.

"Profanity": Now my understanding is that all possibly obscene words (from the most minor to the most extreme) qualify as "profanity".
"Borderline profanity" are actually words that you aren't 100% sure are the most obscene.
"Non-borderline profanity" are the more hardcore and dirty language expressed, that leaves no question in your mind it is a profanity.
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Jess Pumkin »

Surely tone is meant to convey whether a word is a non-borderline profanity?

"Oh sh*t, you're Galen!" - for me this is profane. However, if I had to substitute another word in to understand how the writer meant it, it could be , "Oh wow/hi, you're Galen!". There is no venom in these words, and so I would take it to be borderline profanity.
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Michael David 33
Currently Reading: The Laundry Man
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-david-33.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Michael David 33 »

Identifying profanities might be difficult for readers who are not native English speakers. I have faced this issue and the word I thought was borderline was non-borderline profanity and it is frustrating because you only get to know it after your review has been checked by an editor and this affects the score. Even the editors or the guidelines don't provide a list of profanities which are borderline and non-borderline. Initially, I used to check for profanities online with any random profanities checker but those don't show if it is borderline or non-borderline and when in confusion it is always better to choose non-borderline. I had gone through multiple forums and finally found the forum created by Scott from onlinebookclub.org and it has been a saver. viewtopic.php?f=132&t=226478
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I think profane words are just words that one will find offensive. They are divided into two some are minor while some are extreme.

Return to “International Grammar”