What is Profanity?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

What is Profanity?

Post by Nkoo »

With respect to OBC, what exactly is profanity and which words/group of words can be classified as profanity? Can the use of these words in a review book be ignored or classified as profanity?
The follwing are the words: the f-word, holy hell, what the hell, sh*t, holy crap, etc.
I need clarifications. Apologies for using such words here. :tiphat:
Denejja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denejja »

blasphemous or obscene language.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of kindergarteners, then it is at least borderline profanity. If I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of high schoolers, it's probably non-borderline profanity.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I've always gone by:

D*mn, A*s, p*ss, and other body parts that would typically be raunchy that are used as an insult are borderline

non-borderline = any racial slur, sh*t and f*ck

But with that said, I don't think there's a list of words and what they count as, so it's up to your discression I'd think. How it's used matters a lot to me too, like "h*ll" and "d*mn" can be fine or they can be considered borderline depending on the sentence:

"I'm afraid of going to h*ll" = totally normal use
"Go to h*ll!" = borderline
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Yes, I think all these words are profane. I think the words using 'hell' can be considered borderline profanity, while the rest of the words are clearly swear words, so they are non-borderline profanity.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

In general, profane words are words that can be considered offensive or swear words, that are not considered appropriate.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

The main problem with classifying profanity is that it is so subjective and can vary radically depending on who you're communicating with.

As a Christian, many of my companions, readers and authors I read are also Christians. If I merely write the three letters, "OMG", I have gone way past profanity. In the eyes of Christians and Jews I have just broken the third Commandment and committed blaspheme!

Even among different cultures the definitions are vastly different. Before I had even heard of Austin Powers the only definition of the word shag I knew had to do with a type of carpet.

The best conclusion I have come up with is, " when in doubt" classify it as profanity. Then decide if it's "borderline". But if you're still unsure just be honest in your review and explain your dilemma or predicament to your readers. I'm sure that they'll appreciate your efforts to protect their sensibilities.

But I am new to the Review Team and bow to the greater wisdom of other members.

LLR
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html

Post by Syson Dolph »

Profanity is a word that expresses dissatisfaction in an unpleasant way. Nkoo the examples you stated indicate profanity. That is to say hell is a place where punishment is administered, F-word in full is the f*ck word and I would to think that you know what 'f*ck' means, sh*t is ambiguous I advise that you it in the dictionary or google search and crap might as well mean rubbish.
PhyllisAnne
Currently Reading: Into the Wild
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phyllisanne.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by PhyllisAnne »

To add to this question: Are substituted phrases considered profanity? Especially in the instances where you can clearly deduce what they are replacing?
~Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality~
Lewis Carroll in Alice in Wonderland
grace11cephas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by grace11cephas »

I personally think that anything unfit for public discussion,that can apply to a language one uses both verbally or in any written form that brings about embarrassment,shame,degradation can all be considered as profanity.

I normally tell my self that if i cannot say it or write and send it to my mother or father or my mentor then its worth not fitting for public usage.Why?This is simply because it is vulgar and profane.
Anything i don't wish others to say to me or write me in this case-i would as well not do it to others.

Lets try to be good mannered and respectful.
TerrifiedTaylor
Currently Reading: Corrigendum
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrifiedtaylor.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by TerrifiedTaylor »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 13:50 I've always gone by:

D*mn, A*s, p*ss, and other body parts that would typically be raunchy that are used as an insult are borderline

non-borderline = any racial slur, sh*t and f*ck

But with that said, I don't think there's a list of words and what they count as, so it's up to your discression I'd think. How it's used matters a lot to me too, like "h*ll" and "d*mn" can be fine or they can be considered borderline depending on the sentence:

"I'm afraid of going to h*ll" = totally normal use
"Go to h*ll!" = borderline

So wouldn't that mean b**** would be non-borderline? There are somethings I understand some I don't.
raylenejanice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raylenejanice.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by raylenejanice »

What a great discussion! I was wondering the same thing. My mother told me when I was very young that hell and damn are gentlemen's swear words, and that has stuck in my mind, obviously, so those seem borderline to me. Interestingly, "Jesus" and "Jesus Christ" as oaths are not borderline to me, but "Oh my God" is borderline to me because of its common usage even in polite company. The book I'm currently reading likes to spell out dialect pronunciations, e.g. "Jaysus" and "Feck." To my American ears, those seem much tamer than their American English counterparts, but I still counted them as obscene.
Amanda-Elin G
Currently Reading: Valiant Young Men
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singinggenius05.html
Latest Review: André's Reboot by Steve Coleman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda-Elin G »

Phyllis Anne wrote: 17 Dec 2019, 00:46 To add to this question: Are substituted phrases considered profanity? Especially in the instances where you can clearly deduce what they are replacing?
Substitutions that are more common don't necessarily make us think of what they are replacing. For example, when someone says "dang" I hardly ever think, "d**n" when they are saying it. So, although you definitely know what this is substituting, is it really profanity if it doesn't make you think of the original word? This would be an interesting topic to see debated.

The point is: Thoughtcrime is punishable by vaporization. Don't think swear words :wink2: Reply with a wink if you get the reference.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I asked myself the same question when I started to review, and as mentioned above I prefer to be cautious and tick the box for borderline profanity if I think someone might be offended even if for me it's not an issue.
Chinwe nwankpa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinwe-nwankpa.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Chinwe nwankpa »

I don't get what a borderline and non borderline profanity is

Return to “International Grammar”